Hot or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot or not?

Has anyone who dwells in a cold climate (anywhere north of m25...) added a heated fuel filter to their surf? I know some of the large peugeots have them to help them run better in the cold... how about some of you veggie boys?? anyone added a heat exchanger or inline heater to the car?

I am asking as I hear that normal diesel filter cartridges are intolerant to heated fuel...has anyone any experience of this??

Think some surfs have a fuel heater in the filter mounting bracket thing anyway....mine has some wires going to it and I've got a fuse for a fuel heater, so i guess i have one...

Comment

Along the same lines - has anyone fitted a vacuum gauge to monitor the state of the fuel filter? How would I go about doing this??

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
        Along the same lines - has anyone fitted a vacuum gauge to monitor the state of the fuel filter? How would I go about doing this??
        “T” your vacuum gauge into the fuel line between the filter and the pump, coil the capillary line up a few times to act as a sort of “U” bend, the lift pump incorporated into the injector pump sucks fuel through the filter so as the filter plugs it has to suck harder and the vacuum goes up. If you start with a new filter and good diesel you can get a bit of a base line.

I don’t think you should have any problems with filters and heat up to @ 100C as it can get that hot under the bonnet of a car in extreme conditions, so as long as you don’t over do the heating you should be fine.

Comment

Mine has a diesel fuel pre-heater which I believe is part of the winter pack. I don't know what temperature it heats to but (I'll check my facts when I go round the garage) it has a 15A fuse.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Interesting.. I wonder where I can get my hands on one of those then....

Comment

Heater

I have now been running 100% veg oil with my new in line Fuel Cat, which also pre heats the fuel before pump. It appears to only take no more then 8-10 mins to heat up. Apart from car being left for 5 days and then starting first time, it definately runs smoother and quieter and i feel that it has more power, but this is subjective. Tony fitted mine and hopefully he has fitted the unit on the Bullet, so i will then have another opinion. Ideally could do with a Rolling Road to test emissions and BHP. I have also sourced inexpensive 30 ltrs tanks which will be for starting in Winter time on diesel. You can take tank out in summertime. I think and only guessing as of now that you probably need extra tank for maybe 4 months out of the year, depending on where you live.
              If anyone going to Bealieu Autojumble this weekend i am there on stand R216
              or alternitively call Tony or myself for more info.
              Have just received my permission to use Biodiesel at the lower tax of 27.1p so i am a happy bunny now as didn't really want to get fined and car confiscated.
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                I have now been running 100% veg oil with my new in line Fuel Cat, which also pre heats the fuel before pump. It appears to only take no more then 8-10 mins to heat up. Apart from car being left for 5 days and then starting first time, it definately runs smoother and quieter and i feel that it has more power, but this is subjective. Tony fitted mine and hopefully he has fitted the unit on the Bullet, so i will then have another opinion. Ideally could do with a Rolling Road to test emissions and BHP. I have also sourced inexpensive 30 ltrs tanks which will be for starting in Winter time on diesel. You can take tank out in summertime. I think and only guessing as of now that you probably need extra tank for maybe 4 months out of the year, depending on where you live.
                If anyone going to Bealieu Autojumble this weekend i am there on stand R216
                or alternitively call Tony or myself for more info.
                Have just received my permission to use Biodiesel at the lower tax of 27.1p so i am a happy bunny now as didn't really want to get fined and car confiscated.

Sounds like good news Phillip!
                Did you have to tell customs your running on 100%veg to get the 27.1p i need to reapply. The thing is I havent any mods to show if they come to look at the car
                Not sure now how I can get the cheaper rate.
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

I got the cheaper rate without any mods - you have to say you will be mixing the oil with turps or similar so it can be used as a stand alone fuel...

How much are the fuel cats?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                    I got the cheaper rate without any mods - you have to say you will be mixing the oil with turps or similar so it can be used as a stand alone fuel...

How much are the fuel cats?
                    It would appear that they want to know how much oil "you will be setting aside". Also i would just say you are using 100%, no need to mention heaters etc as only needed in Winter. Also when i said what happens if i fill up, say ,50% with diesel, he said no problem as duty already paid. To me its impossible to check as everyone uses different % of veg. Will i hope have price of new unit on Monday, as of to Beaulieu Show for weekend, on veg oil i might add. Anyway will be better price for forum members than price when i start advertising.
                    Rgds Philip
                    Still Searching,
                    Dick Whittington

Comment

once you have the engine running a while the diesel will come through hot anyway...
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                      X