Headunit overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headunit overheating?

I've used the search and found some similar problems but none exactly the same as the one I have, I'm looking for opinions:

I bought a Kenwood headunit off ebay and it all seems fine, I was working on the truck over the weekend and the headunit was happily playing CDs and radio all day no problem.

I had to install it in the top DIN space because it is the type that has a front panel that slides out horizontally to load a CD and it catches on the auto gear stick in park in the bottom one. But it is a very tight fit and the cables at the back are bent at 90 degrees but not in a damaging way that I can see.

Today, I drove about an hour and a half and the sound kept cutting out (on CD or radio) but the stereo display was all working fine. I had the heaters set to toasty cos it was cold outside... when I felt round the back of the stereo it felt very hot to me.

So I reckon the unit must have a thermal cut out and with the lack of space round the back and heaters on it is causing it to overheat...?

Has anyone had any problems like this?

Can I install a computer style fan maybe to blow over the back to cool it down or is this just stupid?
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

has it got a built in amp in? my sony one can get really really hot when its on loud because of the built in amp but it doesnt cut out (unless i hit speed bumps too quick lol)

Comment

Yes, it has an internal amplifier - do you reckon this is the problem?
      It's strange the way it cuts out. A couple of times it was for long periods but then a couple were for short periods and the sound disentigrates first. I'm sure it must be something to do with the heat because I had it playing most of the day on Saturday and it was fine...

Comment

Mine is also in the top Din which you saw, cable are squeeezed in every which way and its an Alpine 60w x 4 so it gets pretty hot - mine is wired direct to the battery not off the loom.
        Have you got a pocket or something underneath it? You could try and take it out and see if it stays a bit cooler... thing is you need to be sure its heat thats causing it to cut out and not something else.. Good luck
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

There's nothing underneath it so the air should be circulating ok round there, I just thought it might be getting very hot round the back which could be a problem? If it's something else, I'm knackered as I doubt I'll be able to diagnose something internal. Everything else works while the sound cuts out, the display, the motors on the panel and I can switch sound source (quiet or err still quiet...) .

I've seen it has some kind of internal amplifier off feature, I'm not sure if that is something I can switch off or it does it automatically.

I'm still in the process of wiring up the external amp (cables running everywhere!). If it doesn't cut out when connected to this then I guess the problem is some connection to the existing speakers.

I guess,I'll just have to check all the connections and have a play at the weekend and see if I can find any fault

Comment

Solved (I was also playing mine at level 27). Guess I better get the amp wired up then!:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...ight=overheats

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
              Solved (I was also playing mine at level 27). Guess I better get the amp wired up then!:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...ight=overheats

SORTED Talking of which you fixed your exhaust yet?
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

i got mine in the lower slot and use the top one to keep a pasty warm....
                it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I think I may have a similar problem and I am considering drilling a number of holes in the back of the bottom pocket or cutting away completly and replacing with a plastic grill...... On the premise that natural convection will pull cooler air in and vent out above the head unit.... For the price of a replacemet pocket I reckon its worth a try.
                  [COLOR=DarkOrange]Dont Peck SH$T with the Chickens when you can Fly with the Eagles[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                    i got mine in the lower slot and use the top one to keep a pasty warm....
                    Now that's a !!!!!! class idea. Looks just the right dimensions for a Ginsters LOL.

As for the exhaust.... well that job wasn't nearly as exciting as the new stereo so ummm, not yet! Looking at my options, I see Milners sell individual pieces of exhaust tubing so considering making a pipe that exits to the side and higher, just behind the rear wheel. I noticed Lindas bullet has one similar.

Comment

Working...
                    X