oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change

I'm going to change the oil on my 3ltr - should I use fully synthetic? don't know what's in it already.

Jacqueline

What Oil

Originally posted by jax
    I'm going to change the oil on my 3ltr - should I use fully synthetic? don't know what's in it already.

Jacqueline

I use a Semi synthetic 10w40 oil.
    Why pay more for fully synthetic.

regards
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by jax

Jacqueline
      I tried fully synthetic when I did first oil change. Noticed that it had the effect of lowering the oil pressure. I was told by a good mechanic that fully synthetic oil flows much easier and has that effect. He suggested that as long as I change the oil regularly that any decent diesel specific mineral oil would be just as good and cost a sight less. I now just use 15w/40 mineral oil. I can generally tell when that is starting to degrade as the oil pressure does actually start to drop slightly.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Thanx, semi it is then.

Jacqueline

Comment

This is what Diesel Bob recommends on his website http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/tips.shtml ;
          'Engine Oil
          Over the years we have had the opportunity to test various engine oils on many vehicles.
          Fully synthetic oils are ‘pushed’ as the ultimate choice but we beg to differ.
          Fully synthetic oils are too ‘thin’, this results in oil leaking past valve stem seals and past turbo seals resulting in blue smoke at start up and oil in inlet/boost pipes.
          We personally use and advise that a semi-synthetic oil is used with a rating of either 10/40 or 15/40, these oils are more viscous and are less likely to weep past seals. These oils also deaden engine ‘tapping and ticking’ sounds.
          We have yet to decide the best oil, but will add this info at a later date.'

Hope this helps
          Mike
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Inveniam viam aut faciam" - S

Comment

Working...
          X