No announcement yet.

For all those who offroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought water in the diff helped the cooling! Oh. sorry thats rad isnt it. Allways get those mixed up.

Add to that wet carpets too and drivers seat where my light bar wire and GPS antenna come in through the door. Oh and that cargo net thing? Scratches the hell out of the bonnet!
    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
      I thought water in the diff helped the cooling! Oh. sorry thats rad isnt it. Allways get those mixed up.

Add to that wet carpets too and drivers seat where my light bar wire and GPS antenna come in through the door. Oh and that cargo net thing? Scratches the hell out of the bonnet!
      HAHAH all in the name of stylee ay Danno
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        HAHAH all in the name of stylee ay Danno
        Stinks in there now. Especially since bee in the sun all week and hasnt moved from the drive. Hmm wonder if I can get a job lot of "Magic Tree's" on ebay?
        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Danno
          Stinks in there now. Especially since bee in the sun all week and hasnt moved from the drive. Hmm wonder if I can get a job lot of "Magic Tree's" on ebay?
          dont know if magic trees would cover it, I had an EP 90 explosion in mine and that only just masks the smell. still cant complain at least the wife wont want to drive while it's in this state"!!!

found those little holes though must be to let the wet out if you spill your Pimms
          Danno used my Truck and did'nt break it!

Comment

I'm aircon rad free too. There is a nice hole in the ozone layer above Luton now.

I got a 2ft length of 15mm copper tube and put a 90 deg bend in it. I squashed the end of the 90 deg bend so that, with the radiator cowell off, I can hose the rad from the engine side and push the mud/peat/sand back out the way it was forced in. It saves removing the rad and I can now go up hills without the temp guage doing scary things. A 12V strip light on a stick backlighting the rad shows that all the fins are clear of mud. Don't work harder.............work smarter!
            www.lazygit.co.uk I can't be bothered to be lethargic.
            Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 9 May 2005, 00:00.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

good plan - I should be able to make something that can get in there without removing half the car....
              add 2 splits in exhaust to my list
              Tim

Comment

Guess what happened to me on Friday night when I was taking the caravan to Watlington ..... that's it - as soon as I went above 3000 revs the temp gauge headed skywards which rather ruined my plan for a fast trip !

So pressure washer from the front has failed and it looks like removal of the fan cowling is next - the question is this - what effect will leaving the fan cowling off have ?

Cheers !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

errrrm not too sure but I guess it wont cool as much
                  If you have a variable power pressure washer turn it to a lower pressure and just keep hosing off the mud for as long as you can. Try and get water in from all different angles (bumper holes etc) and see how it goes.

Good Job i did mine a few days after cos i have a list as big as arm for bits to fix on the Surf and no spondooliess to do them with
                  Tim

Comment

Try the spraying from the engine side trick. The thinking behind it is that any particles small enough to have passed through the fins will have done. By hosing from the opposite side from which they were pushed in they will come out with minumum damage. Normal mains hose pressure doesn't bend the fins and the cold water on your feet is nice on a hot day.

I left the radiator fan cowell of mine since I changed the belts nearly two years ago. The only damage it has done is to take some skin off my hand when I got too close to the fan.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Trouble is that I can't see any mud at all ....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

Try looking without the hat
                        As Phil says try for a large amount of time from the engine side - should hopefully clear it.
                        Tim

Comment

Took me an hour to do mine, and that was with it removed and sat on the floor!

Dont use a jetwash as it can damage the capillary fins. As some one else said use a piece of bent 15mm pipe with a squashed end fitted on a hose pipe. This fit in the grill or from the engine side.

Hope it dont put you off the mud Bob!
                          I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

You will if you take the rad out - mine was 2/3rds caked!! I took mine out at the end of last summer. I put it against the wall and got the hosepipe out with a trigger gun spraying thing. I stood there for 15 mins then decided to get something to sit on. An hours later i had a clean rad....... strangely though, as a logical thinker like Kitesurf_phil, i thought spraying from the back would get the mud out easier....it didn't. Spraying from the front seemed more effective for me. Don't ask me why!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                              Don't ask me why!
                              WHY???

Tim

Comment

Grrrr
                                ooops I'm drunk, good night

Comment

Working...
                                X