BP Ultimate Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Ultimate Diesel

Has anybody tried using the BP Ultimate diesel? I've put it in twice - once on purpose, the next was 2 in the morning by accident! Both times was on a completely empty tank so I hoped to notice improvements considering the price difference from normal diesel - unfortunately I actually got less milage out of a tank.

Call me synicial - but I think it's marketing hype

Comment

I made a complete idiot out of myself when I accidentaly filled up with it. I walked into the garage and in front of a load of customers loudly enquired as to why the pump price was 6p more than the price on the sign.

It was then that I was told...

If I'd wanted the standard diesel, I had to use pump 8. that kinda explains the queue.

Anyway, truck didnt go any faster, didnt produce any more or less smoke, and certainly didnt get any more mpg.

Pump 8 for me!
      Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

With the mileage I do, thought I would get more oomph out of it...?

Ended up with the ECU not understanding the numbers it was getting back, and consumption went down the toilet, started getting harder to start, etc.... Put the cheapest muck in I can find and it is much happier... of course, your experiences may differ, give it a go... As you can see, I have a 2nd Gen 2.4...

andyL

Comment

In common with the posts above I've tried one tank of the stuff and although I monitor my consumption carefully I could see no difference at all and the truck certainly didn't fly - back to the supermarket for me.
          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

So we've had similar experiences. Tell me then how and why they can make the claims they do on the advertising? I would certainly like to see some evidence of better performance, higher mpg etc. Frankly its !!!!!! expensive as it seems to do very little.

Comment

http://www.bpfuelcards.co.uk/pages/news/news.asp?id=212
              think it has more fairy liquid in it to clean the engine... s'pose over time it may make a bit of difference... but the cost over the engine life probably no benefit!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i have been told in the past that jap vehicles are designed to run on poor quality fuels, thats why 80's datsuns and the like all used to run on 2 star.

which is why we can use veg oil, heating oil or what have you
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
                  Has anybody tried using the BP Ultimate diesel? I've put it in twice - once on purpose, the next was 2 in the morning by accident! Both times was on a completely empty tank so I hoped to notice improvements considering the price difference from normal diesel - unfortunately I actually got less milage out of a tank.

Only difference I noticed was the price Grrrr!!!

Comment

Never bothered, its so more expensive that you can't get that much better MPG to make the money back, I tried Ultimate petrol in my old Nova GTE, and it actually ran like crap.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The only time I use expensive fuel is in the motorbike... super unleaded or 98ron does make a difference in a bike engine. the smaller engines are more sensitive to fuel changes and theres a tiny bit more oomph and the fuelling is smoother. it was more noticable on my older gsxr with a carb than the newer injected versions.
                      bigger diesel engines are very accommodating and will tolerate just about any old sh*te you chuck in the tank that a "cleaner" fuel will really make no discernable difference.
                      she's no angel

Comment

£££££££££££££££££££££

I could,nt afford it anyway

Comment

The main problem is that at BP service stations it is difficult to distinguish between the normal diesel and the ultimate diesel. I tried it in my 2004 S80 and it did not make any difference except to my pocket. Now I avoid BP stations and never fill up at a motorways service station.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            Never bothered, its so more expensive that you can't get that much better MPG to make the money back, I tried Ultimate petrol in my old Nova GTE, and it actually ran like crap.
                            the words well duh spring to mind... the ultimate / optimax petrol is a higher ron so in lesser eng's (like most uk low spec cars have) it can cause them to run worse and in extreem cases self destruct due to there poor componant quality and years of abuse, its better in sports cars like mr2's and stuff ( nissan 200sx's requier it unless you want to replace your melted pistons every time you fill up),

putting optimax / ultimate in a nova is the equlivelent of putting race fuel in your lawnmower... it will just make a big bang and a lot of smoke and not work for long

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
                              the words well duh spring to mind... the ultimate / optimax petrol is a higher ron so in lesser eng's (like most uk low spec cars have) it can cause them to run worse and in extreem cases self destruct due to there poor componant quality and years of abuse, its better in sports cars like mr2's and stuff ( nissan 200sx's requier it unless you want to replace your melted pistons every time you fill up),

putting optimax / ultimate in a nova is the equlivelent of putting race fuel in your lawnmower... it will just make a big bang and a lot of smoke and not work for long
                              always used shell optimax in bike and karts... never a problem...

you obviously never saw tony's nova GTE then... sports car!... not your ordinary chav mobile!!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X