Rear Tailgate Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tailgate Window

I'm a new Surefer (August 2004) I have 3.0 TD Surf (L Reg) and rear tailgate window slowed down gradually and then stopped.
    The rear flap key has never worked but the inside switch does(or did).
    There is a clunk when the switch is depressed in the up and the down mode.
    I have had the trim and cover plate off but cannot see any movement.

Anyone out there got any ideas help would be much appreciated.

Artist

Originally posted by Artist
    I'm a new Surefer (August 2004) I have 3.0 TD Surf (L Reg) and rear tailgate window slowed down gradually and then stopped.
    The rear flap key has never worked but the inside switch does(or did).
    There is a clunk when the switch is depressed in the up and the down mode.
    I have had the trim and cover plate off but cannot see any movement.

Anyone out there got any ideas help would be much appreciated.

Artist
    Have a look at the URL below for how to service the rear window.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_door.htm

Did you try to operate the window with the tailgate down ? if so then the window will not work as it is electrically interlocked to the door mechanism. The above URL will show you how to by-pass the interlocks to operate the window with the tailgate open - follow the advice given as the window could drop out/break if you are not careful.
    If the problem is not that the mechanism is siezed then post again as there are several common faults which could be checked but it is worth doing the above first.
    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
      Have a look at the URL below for how to service the rear window.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_door.htm

Did you try to operate the window with the tailgate down ? if so then the window will not work as it is electrically interlocked to the door mechanism. The above URL will show you how to by-pass the interlocks to operate the window with the tailgate open - follow the advice given as the window could drop out/break if you are not careful.
      If the problem is not that the mechanism is siezed then post again as there are several common faults which could be checked but it is worth doing the above first.
      Thanks but unfortunately the window is in the up position with the tailgate closed.
      I have looked at the maintenance advice but again its with the window down.
      I have had another look and nothing visible moves when the inside rear window switch is operated but I get an audible clunk when the switch is operated in either up or down mode but no other sound or movement.

Artist/

Comment

Originally posted by Artist
        Thanks but unfortunately the window is in the up position with the tailgate closed.
        I have looked at the maintenance advice but again its with the window down.
        I have had another look and nothing visible moves when the inside rear window switch is operated but I get an audible clunk when the switch is operated in either up or down mode but no other sound or movement.

Artist/
        If the clunk sound is from the motor and not from the relays which are in the l/h rear panel then sounds like the electrics are OK but the motor gear drive/window mechanism is jammed.
        Don't know how much access you have to see if the mechanism can be disconnected from the motor to allow you to lower the window by hand.
        Can you get someone to operate the down switch whilst you 'assist' the motor by hand ? - Obviously you would need to be careful that you don't get any trapped fingers etc.
        Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Working...
        X