Another Stupid PC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Stupid PC Question

I am using my PC in safe mode at the moment because it will not run any other way. I have identified the problem as being the Trend PC-Cillin anti virus/firewall program. I cannot uninstall the program in safe mode and the PC won't run in normal mode so I can uninstall it from there.
    Any help and advice from the more learned would be appreciated.
    It's only a hobby!

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
    I am using my PC in safe mode at the moment because it will not run any other way. I have identified the problem as being the Trend PC-Cillin anti virus/firewall program. I cannot uninstall the program in safe mode and the PC won't run in normal mode so I can uninstall it from there.
    Any help and advice from the more learned would be appreciated.
    Can you change any of it's setting to allow you through to normal mode ?
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
      Can you change any of it's setting to allow you through to normal mode ?
      I've tried everything in my limited experience. In normal mode it says the CPU is running at 100% capacity. It's like it's so busy swapping files that there isn't room for anything else.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Check out this link :-

http://www.theregister.com/2005/04/2...n_duff_update/

they posted a dodgy av sigfile update on froday and it's a nasty one. You need to update the AV again to pick up the new sig file.

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny_Kit
          Check out this link :-

http://www.theregister.com/2005/04/2...n_duff_update/

they posted a dodgy av sigfile update on froday and it's a nasty one. You need to update the AV again to pick up the new sig file.

Regards,

Andy.
          It won't run to pick up the update. Nothing will run. Looks like I'm ferked?
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

would it help by trying to do a restore to an earlier time.

did you see the link on your zuki thread about the master brake cyl?
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

See if it is possible to access the PC-Cillin program from safe mode and use it's options menu to disable it.

Or again from safe mode access the windows Start Menu, then Settings then Taskbar and Start Menu then click Customise and then remove - it should allow you to remove PC-cillin from start-up - this should prevent it from loading itself at windows start.

Failing that, from the windows start menu click run then type msconfig in the box then enter. Hopefully this should bring up the System Configuration Utility and from there you should be able to remove PC-Cillin from the start menu or access the .ini files to remove all reference to it.
              hope this helps
              Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Start-up Folder

Might be worth looking in your start-up folder. The Trend startup files may be in there. If they are all you need to do is remove the files by moving them to a different folder or deleting them if you want rid and then next time you start windows you should be sorted.

Depending on your Windows operating system you should be able to get to the Start menu by right clicking on the Windows [Start] button (bottom right of screen). Then select Explore.
                This should take you to the Start Menu folder.
                Click the + by Programs folder and then the structure that is revealed should have the [Startup] folder in it. Open it and look for the Trend software.

Hope that helps.

Rob

p.s. I've had loads of problems with Trend anti virus. Ended up getting rid and am now using Norton, which is sound.
                Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I have been trying to fix this problem for days.
                  The mistake I made was that I reset the system to a date before PC-cillin 2005 was installed. I then clicked undo reset thinking I could go to any date after that but the computer said no, your reset date is today-clear off.
                  I tried deleting the files from startup- they have them so heavily protected that that was a no-no.
                  I eventually went into msconfig and found all five files, which I switched off and restarted the machine. I have now managed to uninstall the bugger. I am now normal again!
                  Thanks once again. Bouquets all round.

Now what am I going to do to keep my mind off the food poisoning.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Following some paticularly tricky computer problems I had a while ago I bought a hard disk caddy and fitted it into a spare drive bay on the computer. Bought a second hard disk that slots into the caddy. Every now and again but particularly before I make any major changes to the computer or add any new programs I make a complete copy of my main hard disk using Norton Ghost (only takes around 15mins) with which you can do a complete clone of your hard disk. If I have any computer problems in the future all I have to do is disconnect the main hard disk, put the copy disk into the caddy and set it as the master and - Hey Presto - my computer is back to exactly where it was before I messed it up. Also means all my data is backed up and I can also fit it into any other computer with a caddy and use that computer as my own.

Glad you got it sorted out.
                    Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

In the start menu, click on the "Run" tab and type msconfig, click on the startup file and uncheck the program from the startup registry to prevent it from running. Start pc in normal mode, ditch the program and run a virus scan.

Hope this helps !

P.S don't screw around in the register editor or you will well and truly shaft the machine!!!!

Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X