a rather splendid french adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a rather splendid french adventure

I got my surf just a couple of weeks ago... its a lovely basic model (1992)( im a retro fan so the more basic the better) dark blue metallic with all dark windows on the back, no bars, no plastic window thingy-mees, no spots and just some basic h/t tyres on basic alloys.
    First of all in the 6 days I had to prepare it was replace two tyres which had been off road damaged ( who off roads with H/Ts I will never know) so a couple of new Bridgestones later I was off to fill the cubby holes with essentials. So the in car inventory goes like this:
    - heavy duty tow strap
    - jump leads
    - water
    - leather work gloves
    - gaffer tape
    - insulation tape
    - cables ties ( several sizes)
    - block connector
    - stanley knife
    - wd40
    - emergency tyre repair bottle
    - screwdriver, hexagon and torx set
    - adjustable spanner
    - toyota tool kit and roll
    - spare bulbs
    - spare fuses
    - warning triangle
    - gb sticker
    ( most of this came from my previous car with the exception of one or two items)
    Next item on the check list was the frikkin mad jap stereo that wouldnt work...
    one heavy duty cleaner cd later and hey presto... ta daaaa we have sound!
    Just 3 hours left till departure I nipped down to the local garage pressure washer and gave the rad a clean since it was still full of mud from previous off roading...
    -------
    So having loaded up with sleeping bag, bike, cycling kit, folding chair and table and a huge crate of food & drink Im off to Dover for a quiet nights drive and find a safe location to get my head down for the night. Unfortunitely.. or fortunitely whichever way you look at it, it was so comfortable in the back that I overslept and had to drive like I stole it to get to the ferry on time in the morning. On the way I discovered the braking characteristics of a surf are a little different to that of an MR2 and had a few sphincter moments towards oncoming cars on the tiny back lane I had to drive down to Dover.
    muchos funos!

Arriving in France I realised how much more I could see ( had been missing previously on other trips) sitting just 18-24 inches higher than the MR2 so I took to the smaller roads because they are more fun. Overtaking tractors in france on a straight small road however is not fun in a right hand drive car. After 8 hours driving and a couple of previous stops I decide its time for a snicky snacky snook... and get the camping stove out. bacon, sausage and beans on the menu with a flambé of rubber gasket. I accidentally set fire to a rubber seal on my stove and had me a little barbeque instead, but the food tasted good and fully recharged I made it to Quimperle in Brittany in 11 hours. (875km) and used a tank and a half of diesel. (@ €1 per litre)

I drove back last night and completed the trip in 1800km, throughout the trip the clocks were all constant in their readouts, no fluctuations and the only problems I had was a numb bum and a back window thats decided that sometimes it wont go up first try. I also discovered the tail gate is a good size for falling a sleep on and getting sun burnt/tanned..

can anyone suggest what the problem might be with the back window before I take the door apart? is it likely to be a dicky motor or a dicky mechanism? which has the most common problem?
    she's no angel

You need to clean out the runners & lubricate them with a silicone based spray NOT WD40. Hey presto! the jobs done.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

So your happy with the Surf then ?

Have a look at the below URL re: rear window problem

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/rear_door.htm
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

thats very helpful with the pics, I will get to it as soon I have a moment of non raining dryness! seems sods law whenever I want to do anything on the car it buckets down for days. same goes for motorbike tyres, if I put a couple of new hoops on...it will be pishing rain for at least a week while I try to scrub them in.

yes I love the surf. although I imagine the 3.0 litre would have abit more poke I am happy with my little 'un for now. Its the lap of luxury compared to my old CJ7 laredo I had a couple of years ago, I dont have to put a sheet of plastic over my feet when it rains and its got a heater and demister... and stone the crows the bloomin door locks work! from a remote no less...
        the fact its got a stereo and at least 4 working speakers is quite frankly a joy to behold... as well as electric windows. What manner of technology is this? Japanese.. yes almost faultless. Those crafty engineering japs, they certainly know how to please their customers.
        Last edited by Toyney; 26 April 2005, 19:23.
        she's no angel

Comment

Know what you mean about the tyres - I need a new back tyre - due to go to the Dordogne in June but hoping to get another month out of the current one before then so I can scrub it in on sunny French roads.

Just noticed your price of €1 per litre for diesel - if iv'e done my sums right thats around £3.25p/gallon or 72p/litre. I saw 93.9p/litre at the weekend - around £4.27p/gallon. Just hope the proposed Fuel Protest on the 3rd May actually happens.

Thanks for the write-up on your trip - glad it all went well.
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Working...
          X