Bike Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Rack

After muchos searchin of the forum - I settled on a cranked tow bar mounted 4x4 bike rack from these guys....
    http://www.buyabikecarrier.co.uk/

trouble is it doesn't fit! Initially it wouldn't clear the rear bumper but mounting it on the lower tow bar plate cured that... but now it won't actually clear the spare wheel! I know a few guys on here have them so how did you get round this????

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
    After muchos searchin of the forum - I settled on a cranked tow bar mounted 4x4 bike rack from these guys....
    http://www.buyabikecarrier.co.uk/

trouble is it doesn't fit! Initially it wouldn't clear the rear bumper but mounting it on the lower tow bar plate cured that... but now it won't actually clear the spare wheel! I know a few guys on here have them so how did you get round this????
    I have the straight type (No rear mounted spare) and it fitted no problems, and I found the company very helpfull. Why not have a chat with them and see if they can help.

The only thing i would fault it for is the little press stud will not stay in place but a pair of sharp nose pliers puts it back easily enough!

Paul
    DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

i have this type of bike rack, i no i carry the rt100 on it but its also suitable for cycles, fits on the towbar and it clears the spare wheel. i bought it out of the adtrader for about £45.
      Attached Files
      lets go get dirty...

Comment

Took the advice and called the company - they suggest using a 100mm offset block on the tow bar - i.e. effectivley moving the ball back 4". Any thoughts on how this will affect towing? will the block be rigid enough?

The brackets holding the tow bar to the chassis are home made (from 12mm steel) so strong as you like - so I doubt there will be any problems with the extra leverage from the trailer...it will mean if I reverse into anything the tow bit would hit before the bumper...can't decide if this is an advantage or not!

Thoughts?

Comment

I don't know about the block but I reckon having the tow ball sticking out is an advantage, if your reversing towards something strong (fence post, tree wall, etc) you can touch park without scratching the bumper and if you park in the street people don't park so close behind you when they see it sticking out. Just be carefully not to reverse into anything expensive.
          Darren

Comment

Working...
          X