Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence booster

Hello people!
    Ive just joined the site as you may have noticed and am most likely to be buying a surf 2.4td 2morrow. Have done loads of research over past mounth and have decided to go for 2.4td ssr-g version. Mainly driven by price and cheap (er) insurance than 3ltr version.
    Unfortunatly i have read too many reviews on over heated and cracked heads, and am now feeling a cracked head myself. yea so confidence has gone down a bit, but excitment is kinda keeping me interested.
    The Surf im prob. getting 2morrow has been in the county a year and has not had the head replaced yet. Should i start saving, ready for the enevitable?!

Can anyone give me some encoragement, not realy sure weather all that lovely money of mine is going to the right place.

Tankyee very much.

i got a late 1993 ssr x and i have had it nearly a year now with no probs so far but you can always ask if the head has been changed yet.i was the same as you that i couldnt afford the 3lt so i went with the 2.4 and if the head goes i will just have to save to get it repaired and i wouldnt change it for the world.
    welcome to club...Richard
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Ive had my SURF for 2 years now. The HEAD went last august a week before my holiday, It had to be done & was worth every penny as far as im concerned As i Love my SURF. There are lots of helpful people within the SURF community so this will put you at ease. Buy it & then enjoy it.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by festeroffroad
        Hello people!
        Ive just joined the site as you may have noticed and am most likely to be buying a surf 2.4td 2morrow. Have done loads of research over past mounth and have decided to go for 2.4td ssr-g version. Mainly driven by price and cheap (er) insurance than 3ltr version.
        Unfortunatly i have read too many reviews on over heated and cracked heads, and am now feeling a cracked head myself. yea so confidence has gone down a bit, but excitment is kinda keeping me interested.
        The Surf im prob. getting 2morrow has been in the county a year and has not had the head replaced yet. Should i start saving, ready for the enevitable?!

Can anyone give me some encoragement, not realy sure weather all that lovely money of mine is going to the right place.

Tankyee very much.
        For the cost of head replacement and or if like me the entire engine you could buy a 3ltr.

Its a gamble they don't all go.

Just getting to like mine again.

Steve
        Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Had my k reg 2.4 for a yr this weekend and have done 20,000 in her, no worries at all, it really is luck of the draw i think.

Just enjoy, i cant see myself ever driving anything else again. I brought the surf one week after coming out from a 7 month stay in hospital, needed something auto and nice and high that i could get in and out of easy, since then 2 friends have brought surfs, they really are great fun.

Live now mate, you never know whats round the corner, just look at that poor women who got stabbed in neck, i spent 3 months flat on my back paralysed, its not something id reccommend.

Im in essex if you need any advice, always do my best to help.

Comment

Tankyee very much.

A good number of 2.4L imports already have had the new design head fitted whilst in Japan. There's nothing outwardly obvious to look at on the engine to see if has been replaced already- but fingers crossed it could be okay?

Nevillef

Comment

I've had mine nearly 2 years. So far, so good.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Should i start saving, ready for the enevitable?!
                For me its easy to say, as I have one of the 3.0s which have yet to show any real sign of problems. Yes, start saving. The head may never go, but as far as I care, it'll go one day. Might be a month, might be 2 years, you never know! I think its worth budgeting for though - then decide on 2.4 vs 3.0 (like esamed said)

Comment

I,ve had my 1st gen 2.4 for almost 6 years now and no probs yet.So get it and enjoy it.
                  If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Thanks everyone, feeling a little better now. mind is at rest.
                    lets hope it already has the updated head! Ill post measage when shes mine!!roll on lunchtime.......

Comment

Nice one Fester.Post some pics too.
                      French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

hi mate im also getting 2.4 ssrg hows urs goin any head probs yet? live in essex too
                        slowely, slowely catching the monkey

Comment

had mine 2yr now, i believe it was in the country for 2yr prior to that, dunno if the heads been changed or not, don,t care, if it goes it,ll be fixed, wouldn,t be without me surf

ship

Comment

Working...
                          X