Rover latest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rover latest

I just heard on the radio that Shanghai automotive are going to start making Rovers in China now - or will that be "Lovers" ?

Kev

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4464651.stm

Comment

it's only the 25 and 75 models tho but BMW own the ROVER name so they said on the news here so they don't know what they will be called now
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

My mad sister , well the madder one , went and bought a used Rover 75 on Monday as she said the dealer was selling them cheap !

I nearly dropped the phone in disbelief . As I work for an Insurance co we are having repairers complain regarding lack of body panels available . So I hope she does not have a crash or that will be it until someone starts to make parts again.
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          My mad sister , well the madder one , went and bought a used Rover 75 on Monday as she said the dealer was selling them cheap !

I nearly dropped the phone in disbelief . As I work for an Insurance co we are having repairers complain regarding lack of body panels available . So I hope she does not have a crash or that will be it until someone starts to make parts again.
          my son works for a major car multi-dealership and he says that the Rover spares cupboard is empty - they can't get body panels or any major mechanical components.
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Makes you wonder if Rover still owns anything. They sold the land and buildings to a developer, last year they sold the rights to their engines to SAIC and now it turns out that they also sold the rights to make the cars. Isn't that called asset stripping ? And somehow one of the many companys in the group was still making enough profit to pay the directors.

And knowing all this the government still pumps money into it!
            Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
              Makes you wonder if Rover still owns anything. They sold the land and buildings to a developer, last year they sold the rights to their engines to SAIC and now it turns out that they also sold the rights to make the cars. Isn't that called asset stripping ? And somehow one of the many companys in the group was still making enough profit to pay the directors.

And knowing all this the government still pumps money into it!
              Wonder if that has anything to do with the General election on 5th May - or am I being unduly cynical !!

Comment

Originally posted by Silversurfer
                my son works for a major car multi-dealership and he says that the Rover spares cupboard is empty - they can't get body panels or any major mechanical components.
                My brother started work at Longbridge only 2 weeks ago- DOH!!

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=46543

He's looking for another job now.

Nevillef

Comment

Will have to turn the cars over to see the mark

MADE IN CHINA

Like the old model cars used to play with as a kid....
                  Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                    My brother started work at Longbridge only 2 weeks ago- DOH!!

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=46543

He's looking for another job now.

Nevillef
                    I feel for your brother and everyone else at Longbridge - what annoys me, in view of what everyone has said about the asset stripping that has been going on before the announcement, is that the directors/senior management has known for awhile what was coming but has kept it quiet, even to the point of continuing to hire staff with the full knowledge that it was all going to go belly up. I can only assume that they did that in order to fill their own pockets before it did.

Comment

Its a shame that we've lost our last car manufacturer but I'm kinda glad now. I'm fed up of them making dull, out of date cars and continually being bailed out of trouble and wasting government money.
                      (and yes I'm sorry that thousands of people lost their jobs, but thats another story).

Comment

is it just a rumour that chinese made mgs' are going to be delivered with a free 'U' to stick in the middle of the badge?
                        and are honda going to be allowed to import the mgf that they designed just before mg started making them?
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

rover

My son is an MG/Rover technician, he says its like someone has sucked all the atmosphere out of the dealer where he works, nobody knows what's going to happen next, i told him maybe it's time to jump ship but he loves working on MG's, still someone will have to repair em.
                          Cheers, Steve.

Comment

It's very sad for the people who've lost there jobs, but the truth is it's just not viable to run a "mainstream" motor plant in the UK. The only bits of the UK motor industry that have survived are the niche stuff like Lotus, Caterham and TVR and some of them I think are owned by one of the big 4.

Comment

Working...
                            X