Real world difference between 2.4 and 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real world difference between 2.4 and 3.0

Does anyone know the performance figures for the 2.4 and 3.0 models and how they really differ on the road in terms of performance,BHP,Torque etc?

I keep toying with the idea of changing my 2.4 for a 3.0 but would i really notice a difference?

Thanks

Paul.
    French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Originally posted by Pauleds
    Does anyone know the performance figures for the 2.4 and 3.0 models and how they really differ on the road in terms of performance,BHP,Torque etc?

I keep toying with the idea of changing my 2.4 for a 3.0 but would i really notice a difference?

Thanks

Paul.
    I think the 3ltr has around 35bhp more, not sure about torque. I know that on a few occasions whilst following a 3ltr round hills rounds I've struggled to keep up.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

The 3.0l intercooler has a bit more but there aint that many around (at the moment)

I know mine has a fair bit of poke and can open the eyes of a fair few boy racers in there Saxo types when the ECT is on and the o/drive is off. (not that I condone traffic light sprint's of course)

On the motorway you still need to think when overtaking and prepare yourself correctly, you can't just stick your foot down and expect a 2 ton beast to fly, but it does pick up very well.

Comment

Dont know what the figures are but I certainly noticed a big difference going from a 2.4 to a 3.0 (both 2nd gen). My 2.4 struggled to get to decent motorway speeds and accelerating or overtaking was often a painful experience, especially with hills added to the mix (also getting up to speed on slip roads was sometimes awkward).

With the 3.0 its much much better - quickly gets up to motorway speeds, and you have a bit more to play with too - cruises nicely at 80, and overtaking or hills are no longer so much of a problem. Would not go back to a 2.4 if you paid me (well unless it was a LOT)
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Figures usually quoted are:

LN130 1985 - 1993 2.4Litre Turbo Diesel
          97HP @ 3800rpm
          240NM @ 2400rpm

LKZN(KZN185) 1993 - up 3.0Litre Turbo Diesel
          130HP @ 3600rpm
          289nm @ 2000rpm

And the rare intercooler version of the 3.0ltr is about 145 bhp and 333Nm torque.

The 3.0ltr has noticably more grunt when driving. Fuel consumption doees not seem to vary much between them - poss 3.0ltr is better <<ducks>>

I have seen some Toyota figures for the 3.0ltr engine in other vehicles suggesting only 123hp - maybe that is without electronic injection control.

Kev

Comment

Perhaps a fellow leeds (3.0) surfer could take you out for a spin so you could get a feel for the difference etc?

Any friendly Leeds-based 3.0 owners out there?...
            No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I went from a 2.4 2nd gen auto. to a 3.0 3rd gen manual and the difference was incredible, especially going up hills.

Jacqueline

Comment

ive never driven a 3.0 but i wouldnt mind :hint hint:
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks

Paul.
                  I'll give you a race (including a bit of hill climb). Then you can draw your own conclusions........

Nevillef

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys.
                    Nev, you're on......i'll bring my 300Bhp Impreza WRX if that's ok?

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys.

i'll bring my 480hp DAF!!... shouldn't imagine it would win much though!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Seriously guys, thanks for your replies.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pauleds]Thanks for all your replies guys.
                          [QUOTE]

Did I mention the offroad section of the race?

Nevillef
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                            i'll bring my 480hp DAF!!... shouldn't imagine it would win much though!
                            Is that DAF as in "FORWARD to go forward ... and BACK to go back" ?

Comment

Working...
                            X