No announcement yet.

Model Report and Turbo Diesel question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Report and Turbo Diesel question?

Hi folks,
    My second post on here as Im still hunting down a Surf to buy. I have been shown details of one in Japan by my Japanese freinds that Im very taken on, but fear I will need to act swiftly. Can anyone shed some light on the following please?

1) It is a KZN185N - I presume for model report this falls under KZN185 and the N does not make any difference? What is the N representing? I saw a table once with the breakdown of chasis numbers but cant locate it now?

2) This model is not intercooled and so I presume is the standard 3.0ltr model. How does this compare to the TD version? Would people suggest hanging out for a TD one? Is one better than the other?

Rgds and thanks

Ant
    1996 SSR-G 3.0 TD Intercooler
    Mazda Rotaries too!

Ah it seems it may be a TD after all! Do the later models not have the intercooler bump in the bonnet then?

Thanks

Ant
    Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

it will have a turbo, but no intercooler. without the scoop for fresh air the intercooler wont help much. and with out a turbo the intercooler wont do anything!
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
        it will have a turbo, but no intercooler. without the scoop for fresh air the intercooler wont help much. and with out a turbo the intercooler wont do anything!
        Ah I see, so still the 130bhp model though? Sorry, Im still learning about Surfs!
        The later models have no need for the intercooler then? More efficient? Lower pressure turbo?

Hehheehh yes Im very familiar with turbos/intercoolers etc my other hobbie is fast rotary mazdas
        Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

we ALL need an intercooler.... that will be me stating the obvious again! sorry!
          if it doesnt have a 'cooler. theres details on the australian site regarding fitting a rx7 intercooler... just a thought...
          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
            we ALL need an intercooler.... that will be me stating the obvious again! sorry!
            if it doesnt have a 'cooler. theres details on the australian site regarding fitting a rx7 intercooler... just a thought...

Ok so let me get this right, it doesnt have one factory fit but it is suggested to install one to bring the intake temps down? I saw the details on the Australian site and may have a few RX-x bits hanging around

Many thanks

Ant
            Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

the intercooler version is the upgrade from the regular 3.0td

both available, but not so many intercooled ones about.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                the intercooler version is the upgrade from the regular 3.0td

both available, but not so many intercooled ones about.
                Right I understand Should I avoid and wait for an intercooler, or if the price is good not worry about it and fit one when it arrives?

Thanks

Ant
                Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Originally posted by db2boy
                  Right I understand Should I avoid and wait for an intercooler, or if the price is good not worry about it and fit one when it arrives?

Thanks

Ant
                  depends what you want... not sure on prices for aftermarket intercooler kits... don't think there's a shed load of difference in power... speak to fieldsy, he's had both

the intercooler doesn't cool the engine at all... it's to cool the compressed air after the turbo so it's either denser or less dense (can't remember which!)... something to do with cheese and burning fuel... bit more power.
                  Last edited by da SLUG man; 13 April 2005, 18:23.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

non intercooled

non intercolled version is powerfull enough . balive me and ask all the 3 ltr owners
                    black n tan
                    black n tan
                    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      depends what you want... not sure on prices for aftermarket intercooler kits... don't think there's a shed load of difference in power... speak to fieldsy, he's had both

the intercooler doesn't cool the engine at all... it's to cool the compressed air after the turbo so it's either denser or less dense (can't remember which!)... something to do with cheese and burning fuel... bit more power.
                      Thanks for the info, from the specs Ive found it seems the power is the same. Apologies for misunderstanding, I understand the purpose of the intercooler - just poor explanation on my behalf! Air will be denser allowing more fuel to be combined thus a bigger bang - we like bigger bangs I tried cheese once as nitrous seemed to dangerous, stilton is def the best!

Thanks Again
                      Mazda Rotaries too!

Comment

Working...
                      X