bonjour, salut, ay up duckies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bonjour, salut, ay up duckies!

Just dropping a message of hello to all on this forum, I have been hovering over joining this forum for a while... a year now I think.
    Ive been a toyota lover for a good few years, I am currently the very very happy owner of an MR2.. but this is changing for the long awaited (5 years ive been banging on about getting one!) arrival of my first surf.

I pick it up on Wednesday, its just a simple 2.4td, its nothing too flash, just a standard one. Still im excited as chuff and cant wait. ( I even missed the first moto gp of the season while I was test driving it and busy inspecting as much of it as possible)

its a got an odd looking tail pipe fitted which I will take a pic of when I get it and post for anyones suggestions on why it might have been fitted.

finally... its got its maiden voyage a week to the day after I pick it up to Brittany northern france. I know its a bit of a risk taking a new unknown entity of a car on a long journey... so if anyone can advise of spares and kit I should take with me for the "just in case" scenario.. t'would be much appreciated.

she's no angel

The main bit of kit I always carry is my breakdown card, following that:
    Tow strap, jump leads, spare bulbs, multi tool, battery/starter motor/alternator tester, first aid kit, fire extingiser, small tool roll, spare water (for dogs), spare fuses, warning triangle.

All of the above is stashed in various pockets all over the car so it's there all of the time. I've never travelled abroad so there may well be items that I have missed.

Duane
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Toyney
      Just dropping a message of hello to all on this forum, I have been hovering over joining this forum for a while... a year now I think.
      Ive been a toyota lover for a good few years, I am currently the very very happy owner of an MR2.. but this is changing for the long awaited (5 years ive been banging on about getting one!) arrival of my first surf.

I pick it up on Wednesday, its just a simple 2.4td, its nothing too flash, just a standard one. Still im excited as chuff and cant wait. ( I even missed the first moto gp of the season while I was test driving it and busy inspecting as much of it as possible)

its a got an odd looking tail pipe fitted which I will take a pic of when I get it and post for anyones suggestions on why it might have been fitted.

finally... its got its maiden voyage a week to the day after I pick it up to Brittany northern france. I know its a bit of a risk taking a new unknown entity of a car on a long journey... so if anyone can advise of spares and kit I should take with me for the "just in case" scenario.. t'would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to 'Surfdom'
      You mentioned missing the MotoGP - are you perhaps a Biker as well as a Surfer ? If so you are double welcome as there are quite a few Bikers on the site - seems Biking and Surfing are wholly compatible pursuits.
      If the trip to Brittany is your first driving/riding abroad there are some items required by French law - namely 1.) Warning Triangle - 2.) Spare light bulbs and 3.) First aid kit with the rest as stated by Maverick. I also usually carry some wire of various sizes and some electrical connector block or crimp connectors.
      There are various documents that are legally required such as the Vehicle Registration Document (which must be the original not a photocopy), Driving Licence and an Accident Form which is available from your insurers. Iv'e driven/ridden abroad many times and in all honesty the only hassle Iv'e ever had is coming back to Britain.
      Good luck with your trip and welcome to the Forum.
      P.S. Let us know how it went and some piccies please.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Its not my first trip driving abroad, but its my first trip with this surf. And all those extra ideas of kit to pack in my tool case is food for thought. I only carry half of that mentioned currently, like the triangle, multi tool, wd40, insulation tape... etc etc. I want to be prepared in case this new set of wheels has a hiccup along the way. Plus since I travel alone I like to be doubley sure. It would be nice to compile an travelling abroad check list, including tools, documents and spares.

I am indeed a biker as well, currently waiting on the arrival of a new 05 Speed Triple, I had the old shape a couple of years back and it was ace, I had an R6 last year which was ok but didnt light my touch paper as much as the bigger engined bikes. I plan on taking the Triple over the Alps or to Italy this year for a bike out of context type of ride, ie, its a town/muscle bike suitable for short journeys being taken touring... which will either make funny reading or kill me. Either way it should be entertaining.

my main passion is pushbikes and racing them, hence the surf as a fetch and carry horse ( the MR2 really struggles to carry all my gear despite an amazing boot rack). I doubt I will manage much time for off roading it, much as I feel shamed, I have so many other pots on the stove thats one dish not on my menu. ( yet) If I get knocked off the motorbike or have a bad velodrome crash and have to take time out from them... off roading it is.
        of course, thats as long as I cant surf, sail or body board as well.

I have too many interests and not enough time in the day to do them all.

she's no angel

Comment

Its not my first trip driving abroad, but its my first trip with this surf. And all those extra ideas of kit to pack in my tool case is food for thought. I only carry half of that mentioned currently, like the triangle, multi tool, wd40, insulation tape... etc etc. I want to be prepared in case this new set of wheels has a hiccup along the way. Plus since I travel alone I like to be doubley sure. It would be nice to compile an travelling abroad check list, including tools, documents and spares.

I am indeed a biker as well, currently waiting on the arrival of a new 05 Speed Triple, I had the old shape a couple of years back and it was ace, I had an R6 last year which was ok but didnt light my touch paper as much as the bigger engined bikes. I plan on taking the Triple over the Alps or to Italy this year for a bike out of context type of ride, ie, its a town/muscle bike suitable for short journeys being taken touring... which will either make funny reading or kill me. Either way it should be entertaining.

my main passion is pushbikes and racing them, hence the surf as a fetch and carry horse ( the MR2 really struggles to carry all my gear despite an amazing boot rack). I doubt I will manage much time for off roading it, much as I feel shamed, I have so many other pots on the stove thats one dish not on my menu. ( yet) If I get knocked off the motorbike or have a bad velodrome crash and have to take time out from them... off roading it is.
          of course, thats as long as I cant surf, sail or body board as well.

I have too many interests and not enough time in the day to do them all.

i,m knackered just reading this
          getting the bike outa the shed makes me sweat

welcome aboard m8

ship

Comment

Iv'e done the Alps to Italy - last time on a ST1100 and I reckon the Speed Triple would be a great bike to do it on - just stay off the Autostrada and use the high Alp passes and it should be brilliant riding - just watch out for the Italians when you get there - they are absolutely nuts, both in cars and on bikes - especially bikes.
            Good luck with your trip and keep us posted.
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Welcome to the Forum,welcome to the interesting world of Surf ownership!
              I'm a biker too 1998 Fireblade.

Enjoy your Surf mate and hope you stick around.

Paul.
              French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

welcome aboard the bikersurf.co
                by the way to add to your list i never leave home with out cable ties, gaffer tape and puncture repair in a can
                john
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                X