Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i buy a hi lux surf

Hi all,
    I am in a bit of a dilema . I currently own a SsangYong Musso 2.9d (1996 model ) . I have had this car for about 4 years now and apart from replacing exhaust , tyres and brake pads i have had no real trouble with the car. The only issue has been trying to locate spares , especially when i needed to purchase rear brake shoes. The parking / handbrake mechanism on the musso is famous for problems and i have a slight oil leak going into the rear nearside wheel hub which contaminates the brake shoe. Anyway this apart the musso has been excellent and very versatile which leads me onto my question . In comparisiopn the Musso and Hilux surf are very similar in size / load space for boot and as many of you will confirm the surf is great for taking stuff to skip etc. My quueery is that i have read alot about the surf as i like to investigate a vehicle prior to purchasing .
    My question relates to the problems relating to the Surf`s head . are they that bad. i do like the look of the Surf but don`t want to buy what could potentially be a nightmare and a massive hole in my bank account.
    Replies / suggestions on which year model is best would be grateful

Cheers

SCOTSBILLY

Get a 3.0TD and from what I've read, they don't have the same head problems as the 2.4's do.

Comment

Go for a 3rd generation model and you will not be dissapointed. Its bomb proof. Also the 3.00 engine does not suffer any head problems, delivers total reliability provided you keep it serviced.
      Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

In answer to your question.....should i buy a hi lux surf ....... Yes

Comment

billy asking that question here is like asking Tony bliar if you should vote Labour (spit)
          the short answer is yes get a 3.0L and look after it and it will look after you simple we love ours and even thinking of getting another just thinking yet but if we do we will buy one from an auction this time for a change to see if we can get a good car at a good price bit of adventure aswel i spose.
          if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

many thanks

Originally posted by Malenibo
            Go for a 3rd generation model and you will not be dissapointed. Its bomb proof. Also the 3.00 engine does not suffer any head problems, delivers total reliability provided you keep it serviced.
            thanks for your assistance . one last question , what year of manufacture is a 3rd generation model ?

Cheers

Scotsbilly

Comment

I believe thats a 96 onwards
              I always work better wet .

Its why I became a plumber!!!

Comment

Working...
              X