range rover vs surf...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• range rover vs surf...

ok stop hitting me for saying range rover and surf in the smae sentance...

rite a mate has challanged me (for £300... not that i have £300 like...) that he could buy a range rover that would beat my 2nd gen surf round a off road track... now i am kinda ing bricks... i know the surf is good but the range rover seems to have more ground clearance...

i want honest (no "surfs will destroy anything" bs) oppinions on wether a 2nd gen surf could beat a old (hes probably going to spend 2k max on the range rover) range rover... i know the surf doesnt have a center diff but by the time ur slipping the back 2 ur nose might be out... and i am ranting a bit....

so what are my chances of beating him and shutting him up with his constant "you were ripped off £7k! ha they are in auto trader for £3k!" (any other help with that would be good... its ether hit him with facts or just hit him atm...), and "a range rover would beat that soft roader" oh and lets not forgett the stupidest... "you should have bought a 1.8 golf turbo or diesel"... i got rid of a 1.4 golf for the surf because i needed somthing that could tow none of the golfs could tow the weight i need too...

just pick a bit of off road 20-30 miles away and make him drive it there....
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

yeah well that is kinda half the battle won... him having to drive the 4x4 corse after a few strong drinks from a long drive in a rr would give me a advantage i guess lol...

Comment

also depends on the driver, tyres, all sorts...
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

for the sakes of argument lets that the drivers and tires are identical... i am talking more along the lines of grounding... lack of power... 4wd bugs... stuff like that

Comment

ok, if it's a bog standard range rover, then i'd go for the surf.

Comment

both will be standered ones, my 3.0 auto ssrx, vs a manual range rover

Comment

Have you let him drive yours yet???

That should do it for him!

Good luck

Paul
                DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

nah havent seen him for a few months... hes in manchester i am in north wales, plus he drives a mini atm so has no real guide of wether its good or bad for a 4x4,

Comment

I'd like to see the challenge done on a wet muddy day with plenty of steep ascents and plenty of wading over the depth of the tyres and up to the headlights. Then you might see who has the better ability.

Comment

me 2... er... as long as the door seals are good lol,

location sugestions in the north west / north wales?

Comment

Assuming same driver, tyres, mk1 RR, diesel etc I'd be tempted to say RR, but it would be close. Both vehicles have similar wheelbase and departure angles but I think the RR is heavier. RR will probably win on axle articulation though. Depends on conditions.

Comment

My '91, Robbies '89 and now his '94, all held out the water. The only one who got a bad doing when he got stuck and the seals sank was Morr in his 3rd gen '96 hehehevilhehehehe (where would we be without the cheesy grin)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                            Assuming same driver, tyres, mk1 RR, diesel etc I'd be tempted to say RR, but it would be close. Both vehicles have similar wheelbase and departure angles but I think the RR is heavier. RR will probably win on axle articulation though. Depends on conditions.
                            yeah, but they're like boats!... fall over on any incline!...

Comment

damm... not what i wanted to hear really need to shut him up... hmm i still have that roll of duck tape i guess...

any way of getting him to shutup on the "ripped off" / £7k (well 6995) is too much for one, front?

Comment

Working...
                              X