Garage pits, how wide, how deep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage pits, how wide, how deep?

You should see me at home with the graph paper drawing up plans for the shed I wanna get built in the back garden this year . Its gonna be almost 16' wide and 25' long, thats 4.75m wide and 7.5m long (inside).

I figure if a surf is 15' long then another 10' work space when the surf is inside is a min. At less than 6'7" wide mirror to mirror I could even squeeze 2 surfs in there .

So....why not have a pit too, its not gonna cost much more and will come in very handy.

I got the measuring tape out between the front wheels and it looks like 1 metre would be very wide but not too wide. Tested my old passat and it looks like it would want 1.1metres.

Does anyone have any insider info on how wide a garage pit might be and how many blocks/how deep, maybe 5 or 5 1/2 foot deep

Any handy architects out there looking for nixers to draw up a few plans????

be a shame not to bung a few rsjs in the roof for lifting while you are at it..
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Jim

There is a company that sell fibreglass preformed pits . Thes are handy as they do not fill with water seeping in like block/brick lined ones .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
        be a shame not to bung a few rsjs in the roof for lifting while you are at it..
        ooooooooh yeh (picture Doctor Evil with the finger in the mouth)

then maybe a rolling overhead crane

Originally posted by Vagrant
        There is a company that sell fibreglass preformed pits . Thes are handy as they do not fill with water seeping in like block/brick lined ones ..
        kewl, wonder how thatd work for resisting the mud pressing on it

Comment

Jim

I am not able to find the website for you .They are brill pits , you could possibley do your own . I use fibreglass alot and it is easy to use and form . Not cheap to form a large pit though !
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

and an extractor to slip over the exhaust, nasty smelly fumes....
            3 phase electrics for the lathe....
            compressor with air lines round the wall ....
            a snooker table that turns over revealling a map....
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

I'll get Tony to measure ours and post details tomorrow.... mind you he never bothers to use it so prehaps we could sell it to you Jim? Make us an offer and we'll dig it up for you to collect...
              Last edited by Linda; 31 March 2005, 22:17. Reason: typo
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Just remember fit a pump for the water that will inevitably fill it up unless you are very lucky. I've worked in a pit that had no drain or pump - it's not fun.

Comment

Found this link on Google for a UK pit manufacturer, I've no idea if its any good tho, coz the firewall here in work won't let me access it
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                  X