low fuel light - again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low fuel light - again!

I decided to test whether or not low fuel light works on my 3.0TD 2nd Gen uk 4runner. carrying some diesel in a can as a precuation.

on way to work with 331 miles on clock (did a lot of towing at w/e), the engine started to struggle on a hill. The fuel needle was on the left side of the "E". I put about 3 litres in and got to a petrol station and put another 60.5 litres in.

So it seems the light doesnt work, and my fuel tank is probably around 63 litres.

thing is, a few weeks ago, I was driving along with a nearly full tank, when the low fuel light came on, and needle started dropping to 1/2 full. I thought I had a fuel leak, but didnt. After a load more miles and a stop, it sorted itself out, light went off and needle went back to where it should be. Its never done this before or since, so maybe soemthing shorted out.
    But this proves my low fuel light bulb is OK!,

so for some other reason it doesnt light-up when fuel getting low

any ideas?
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Choice of fuel sender unit ( most possibley the culprit ) or fuel guage . I suspect the sender as the light has been coming on at the wrong time . May just be dirty connections or something simple like that .

Rick
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Yep - check for dirty connections first. Checked mine a few times and it lights with exactly 9lts left in tank - spooky that cos thats exactly what the handbook says.
      Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

Working...
      X