Surf or Pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf or Pajero

Does anyone know how the Surf compares with the Mit. Pajero/Shogan 2.8 Intercooled LWB.????? i.e. power and reliability??

Neil

what, anyone impartial??
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxhill
      Does anyone know how the Surf compares with the Mit. Pajero/Shogan 2.8 Intercooled LWB.????? i.e. power and reliability??

Neil
      You really think anyone on a SURF forum will give you any answer other than that the Surf rocks and the Paj sucks?????

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I'm not biased but if you wanna drive round in a box get the lwb pajero

IMHO I did actually test drive 1 or 2 of the 2.8 pajero's and found them very lacking in power and you can't beat Toyota for reliability
        [COLOR=Red][FONT=Century Gothic]the unexamined life is not worth living...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Neil
          Not heard anything particularly bad about the 2.8L Paj diesel (like the Toyota one the 2.4L Mitsubishi diesel unit has it's share of problems- so best avoided if possible).

Power & abilty wise the cars are pretty similar.

I like the Surf because there are (or were a few years back) fewer about and better styled than the hideous, two-tone Paj import look.

I used play a 'game' on the way to work- count the Discos and Pajero's! On a 25 mile trip I'd normally bag about 20 Discos, 10 Pajero's and one Surf- mine!

Ask the same question on the Paj forum and you'll get a different answer though!

Nevillef

Comment

Neil
            I tried both a Discovery and a Pajero/Shogun before buying the Surf and on the road the Surf was miles ahead. The Discovery especially disapointed me as the handling was very poor in comparison plus there was a lot of engine vibration compared to the Surf. The Pajero was better than the Disco but lacked load space and felt claustrophobic inside and again did not drive half as well as the Surf. A friend has a Pajero and it has not been the most reliable of vehicles with a number of oil leaks and various electrical and 4wd problems.
            With the right tyres the Surf handles like a car and is suprisingly quiet at speed. I regularly pull a double horse trailer without problem and off road it really suprised me with it's ability. I bought it last August and it has been used as everyday transport and been totally reliable. Mine is a 2nd gen 3lt and for a 2ton vehicle it is pretty quick.
            Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

i wouldnt mind getting hold of the doobry on the paj that means you can ignore double yellows....
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Hi i had a 2.8d pajero lwb about three years ago it had lots of jap toys in it and was a very nice motor, i tow a large twin axle caravan and i would say the 3.0d surf i have now seems to have a lot more power than the paj did as for reliability and finnish they seem on a level parr, the surf is a better looking motor though.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dave 30d; 30 March 2005, 22:07.
                [COLOR=Red]THE RIBBLE REBEL[/COLOR]

Comment

Neil
                  Surf V pajero? DUH!!!
                  Also, find a spanish person and ask them what Pajero translates to in English.

Comment

Also come across two people recently who have has mega problems getting bits for Mitsi's. One was an import and one a UK truck, and both have waited months for the part to come to UK. After market parts and spares are apparently not as easy to come by as they are for the surf.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

when i was buying my surf i drove both a 2.8 paj swb and then the surf 3.0 auto,

the paj i was redlining the eng without knowing it (eng note seemed to stay the same all the time) and it had no power at all right through the rev range think i only managed to get it upto about 50 on a local A road that i take at er... the leagal speed limit *cough*80 */cough*, only thing i liked about the paj was the weird pitch and roll gauges in the center console (might be swb only) apart from that they are underpowered and not that nice to drive (felt more like a truck there was no feel to the steering it just went and u never knew how much it was going...),

i went in for a SMALL 4x4 that could tow about 2 tons and came out with a surf... somthing got lost between small 4x4 and massive 3.0 turbo diesel tank but i havent regretted buying it yet

Comment

I've driven both and found the Pajero disappointing.
                        The 3.0 Surf has more useable power on the road and seems more refined in terms of ride comfort,smoothness and build quality in my opinion.
                        French fishing at it's best www.mayennefishing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                          Also come across two people recently who have has mega problems getting bits for Mitsi's. One was an import and one a UK truck, and both have waited months for the part to come to UK. After market parts and spares are apparently not as easy to come by as they are for the surf.

Thanks for some of the positive feedback, ideally wondered if anyone had owned both. I love the Surf and look for excuses to drive it when ever I can.
                          But also like the look of the Mitsubishi and thought it may be worth considering in future for a change, but then I could just get a newer shape Surf.

Comment

IMHO the only Mitsi that looks OK is the Challenger/Shogun sport, but then thats only cos it look so much like a Surf, the funny thing is this is the latest model, and it looks like a 10 year old Toyota.

I'll stick with the Surf/4Runner

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              IMHO the only Mitsi that looks OK is the Challenger/Shogun sport, but then thats only cos it look so much like a Surf, the funny thing is this is the latest model, and it looks like a 10 year old Toyota.

I'll stick with the Surf/4Runner

The Mitsubishi Challenger (Shogun Sport in the UK) was indeed designed by Mitsubishi in 1996 to try and imitate the (much better) Surf styling and 'lifestyle presentation' following the release of the MK3 Surf in Japan. Hence the name 'Challenger'.

I really don't know why Toyota axed the 4Runner here in the UK after 1995 as I would have thought (with the correct marketing) it would have been a popular 'lifestyle model' (look at how many pickups Mitsubishi sell). In fact I don't see much evidence of Toyota UK doing much marketing of 4x4's at all- compare that to the numerous TV ads for Mits trucks!!

I have inferred in the past that Toyota UK dropped the 4Runner in favour of selling the Prado/Collarado model which they could sell for £10K per car more.........

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
                              X