Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem

Hi new here I have a 94 surf ssxr 3.0 TD. Truck will not start. I have revamped the injectors and changed the glow plugs and fuel spill vavle. It takes a while to start then won't stay running and blows smoke the whole time. Hope someone can help thanks

Hi Daniel

sounds like air to me.the most common "silly" cause is that the primer on top of the fuel filter comes un screwed letting air in. Check it is tight. also, does it make any difference if you prime it before trying to start?

Comment

It does make a difference some of the time also when I starts the idle goes up and down then dies. I'll have a look at the filter in the morning. Thanks

Comment

definitely air. try the filter, make sure all hoses are good and that you haven't got a vacuum in the tank etc. you can try and fit a one way valve as well to see if it is running back

Comment

in response to your other post i deleted as its a duplicate. don't mess with fuel adjustments. that's not why its not starting

Comment

Ok i won't play around with the fuel ajustments thanks for your help

Comment

Start simple. It is definitely air / fuel starvation. Find the source you have found your problem.

if its not the fuel filter housing, try the non return valve. failing that, check that your fuel pick up, filter ,and the 2 gauze filters in the pump are not blocked

Comment

Ok will try that this morning

Comment

does the fuel filler hiss when you undo the cap?

Comment

Thanks for your help the truck is now running fine no problems what do ever

Comment

so what was the issue and how did you sort it? just out of curiosity.

Comment

I removed the fuel pump and removed the 3 filters from it clean them and used the air line to blow everything out of the pump then changed all the rubber seal on the pump. And the one little rubber seal on the drain plug of fuel filter. After that primed the pump first turn if the key she started

Comment

happy days. The filters in the inlet and behind the temp sensor are not on any diagrams. where they gummed up? they often get neglected...

id also try cleaning the tank pick up as well

Comment

Where is it located?

Comment

fuel tank pic up? in the fuel tank.. you can drop the fuel tank (drive until nearly empty or drain) and pull it out

Comment

Working...
                              X