Newbie tyre question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie tyre question

I want to change wheels and tyres when I eventually get my surf next week, they are currently fitted with 31/10.5x16 tyres and I want to get some more road friendly tyres.

Q1. What do the 31/10.5 etc stand for?

Q2. My surf is raised and I don't want to end up buying small wheels that will look bad, what size rims and tyres do you suggest for road use?

cheers

31 is the overall diameter off the tyre.
    10.5 is the width.
    16 is the diameter of the wheel, all in inches.

Comment

so why do some tyres specify 265/70/16 and others 31/10.5/16?

Comment

If I remember correctly, 31/10.5/r16 is American or imperial measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by marky.b
          so why do some tyres specify 265/70/16 and others 31/10.5/16?
          265/70 r 16 = 265mm wide 70= profile of tyre 70% of width(side wall hight) r=radial construction of tyre plys 16=16 inch wheel rim. so you have metric a pecentage and imperial units on the side of one tyre!!!!!!!!!!!!

31/10.50 16 as said all imperial, usually found on american tyre brands.

what tyres are on the surf? you may find them better than they look, i'm running on BFG mud terrains and they're a bit noiser than a milder pattern but absolutely fine and handle well up to the chassies limits, and done about 50k miles and still looking good.
          Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

I want to change wheels and tyres when I eventually get my surf next week, they are currently fitted with 31/10.5x16 tyres and I want to get some more road friendly tyres.

Q2. My surf is raised and I don't want to end up buying small wheels that will look bad, what size rims and tyres do you suggest for road use?

cheers
            Hi Marky, i fitted General xp 2000 tyres six months ago and i think they are the dog's.They are probably useless off road, but on the road i can't fault them.I paid £350 for 5 fitted 265/70/r16 at protyre, there's one near you Bristol road.

Comment

cheers

Stick with the 31x10.5 as they look the best (if 4" lift plus then 33" will fit but messes with the gearing)
              [COLOR=Red][FONT=Century Gothic]the unexamined life is not worth living...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
              X