3.0 Litre 3rd Gen buying query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 Litre 3rd Gen buying query.

I'm considering buying the 3rd Gen model of the 3.0litre Surf. Can anyone help me with the following:

1) Is there a difference in the fuel consumption between the manual and the auto?
    2) Is there a general preference for either the auto or the manual and if so why?
    3) What would be the most important things to look out for when buying one?
    4) I'm 6ft 2" will I fit into the drivers seat without too many issues?

Thanks for your help.

cheers

Hello Zak..

Another night owl...

AFAIK
    not much diff in fuel consumption between 2.4 and 3 ltr. depends how heavy yr right foot is !!

Auto seems the usual not too many manuals

Various models available... but so many add ons none the same

Very comfy ride even for longuns.... if not, take the back seats out...just get one !!!!

Gotta get it dirty quick...
    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have seen a couple of dealer sin Scotland and am looking for one within the next couple of months. Whtas the average mileage to a full tank? and whats the average cost of a full tank?
      cheers

Insomnia sucks...

Comment

Notice your a scuba bod. Me too, its the prime reason for the Surf purchase...

Comment

Originally posted by Zak
          Thanks for the prompt reply. I have seen a couple of dealer sin Scotland and am looking for one within the next couple of months. Whtas the average mileage to a full tank? and whats the average cost of a full tank?
          cheers

Insomnia sucks...
          There have been many, many, MANY discussions about fuel consumption. The search facility has loads of info. A mine of useful information.... there's some real clever poppets on here.... Sure the Scots possie will chip in with local info when they wake up...meaning it's late...not that they are not paying attention !!!

Comment

zac hit the search button, theres all manner of posts about economy, and the lack of it.. important thing when buying is make sure its been looked after and dont get robbed. check out the surfs for sale for a rough idea of what they go for. no major weakspots on 3gen surfs.if you are buying from a dealer usual stuff applies, make em stick new tyres on cos imports can sit in the warm for months causing flat spots otherwise crack on and get one
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Zak
              Notice your a scuba bod. Me too, its the prime reason for the Surf purchase...
              Something else I haven't done for a while... hoping to go somewhere warm this year....can't be doing with cold water...bbbrrrrrrrr

Comment

Thanks Guys, appreciate the quick responses. I am looking around and hope to purchase in the next month or so. Can't wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Zak
                  Thanks Guys, appreciate the quick responses. I am looking around and hope to purchase in the next month or so. Can't wait...
                  Keep in touch and let us know what you get.... piccies are compulsory...

Comment

I've got a 3.0L Manual and I love it.

Fuel ecconomy is between 23 MPG and 30 MPG depending how you drive

I fill up about 300 miles, the tank on a Surf is rather small.

Be warned, head problems are now starting to crop up on the 3.0L models (including mine) It is not as comon as on the 2.4L and is due (I believe) to the poor cooling avalible from a clogged (with mud) radiator

Used to have a 200 TDi Discovery and the Surf is the better motor!

Find a good one and you'll never stop smiling

Comment

Aw bugger, manual, auto, manual, auto, manual, auto choices choices choices..........
                      Have a good choice of a 97 auto with 23000 on the clock for under 11k and a manual 96 with 47000 on the clock for the same price.
                      what to do (probably the auto with the low mileage......but)

Comment

Make sure that you get a BIMTA check done on the mileage.

Comment

Ta, whats a BIMTA check? I'm guessing it is an officiaL confirmation that the mileage is as stated?

Comment

Checked it out and the dealer is BIMTA registered so hopefully this will be a kosher mileage. Now just wait til the thing arrives in this country.

Comment

Should Fit In It

Ive had my first one for nearly 2 months now and luv it to bitts. You should fit in her no probs as your the same height as me. i had same dilema manual or auto and i went for auto. driving a surf requires its own style and i think the auto adds to that style plus one less thing to worry about whe bouncing about off road. Buying advice, find out what the buyer knows about maintaining the surf should give you an idea if its been looked after well and for gods sake dont try the 4wd on hard surface even better dont play with gear/4x4 settings until you have had good read on here about how it works as if you play you will break it or as my mother used to say dont play with it cos you dont no how it works and it may fall off!!!! go for the 3.0l got more gutts and less problems for around same fuel consumption. watch for turbo boost valves as mine has one and it does effect the fuel consump quite heavily. Get one Look after it and you wont complain. have a look on http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/ for test drive checklist and loads of other really usefull stuff. Happy surfing.

Comment

Working...
                              X