Ebay item,too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay item,too good to be true?

Since I'm looking to upgrade my computers operating system this caught my eye.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...140866429&rd=1

Worth a punt,or iffy?
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    Since I'm looking to upgrade my computers operating system this caught my eye.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...140866429&rd=1

Worth a punt,or iffy?
    NO LICENCE NO with it as its just the CD so FLY
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Its not quite as simple as he explains either. Firstly,yes, it can be installed to upgrade a present OS, but not really adviseable, always better to do a clean install on a hdd.

Secondly, the hdd needs to be formatted for a clean install which win 2000 will do, but in order to do this you must set your pc to 1st boot from cdrom in the bios.

You probably already know this m8, but thought I would give a 2 penneth.

Comment

The important word in that ad is 'recovery' disc.

Hmmm, you could try it, but the license sticker for the software will be stuck to the office's Gateway machines...

So you are still going to need a license number.

I am not sure if a recover disc will allow you to repair and existing installation (never tried it)... or format and start from scratch... it is also likely to contain a $OEM$ folder with drivers specific to the hardware the disc was meant for...

So a little more complicated...

Probably better off taking your chances with Peer to Peer and 'crack' sites...

Not that I would in any way condone or recommend that course of action.

andyL

Comment

yep, quite correct m8, didn't see that, it'll only recover the windows from a machine that has had it preinstalled.If you format a hdd,I would assume this disc would be next to useless.

Probably better off taking your chances with Peer to Peer and 'crack' sites...

U got a pm m8

Comment

Working...
          X