Buying a mini bigfoot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a mini bigfoot....

Off to look at my first surf tomorrow, it's the 2.4 and has a 4" body lift, 3" suspension lift and 35" wheels n tyres.
    as I will be using it to tow on occasions and I do around 350 miles a week commuting how will the mods effect :
    a) acceleration
    b) top end
    c) fuel consumption

Any other things I need to look for relating to those mods?

cheers

Mark

Originally posted by marky.b
    Off to look at my first surf tomorrow, it's the 2.4 and has a 4" body lift, 3" suspension lift and 35" wheels n tyres.
    I presume you mean 35" tyres not wheels :P

as I will be using it to tow on occasions and I do around 350 miles a week commuting how will the mods effect :
    a) acceleration with standard gearing will be non existant with a 2.4 engine on 35's
    b) top end as for the tyres i think it will be a fair bit less
    c) fuel consumption it will be worse due to tyre size also (depending on the gearing)

cheers

Mark
    Also bear in mind car park heights etc etc and the body roll in corners is likely to be considerable with a total 7" lift!
    Take your time over it and ask questions... of your not sure look at some more then come here and ask again if you need to

Try and keep some logic and happy hunting
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hi
      If you will be doing that kind of weekly mileage i wouldnt reccomend something with that much lift and tyres that big, whilst it looks the dogs danglies it probably wont drive anywhere near as well as a less modified one.
      Mine has equivalent to 31" tyres on a 16" rim and a 2" lift and even that has sacrificed some of the ride comfort. It will probably be a bit less economical, will make your speedo read low so it may say you cant do more than 80 on the speedo but you will be doing more than that, this will also make your odometer inaccurate so mpg will be harder to calculate.
      Get a test drive on main road/ motorway and see how it is at speed, at the end of the day if you like it thats all that counts.
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

That much mods to a 2.4 & 35" tyres to push round and your weekly mileage aint a good match. Very low MPG, speedo will be way out and the engine will be under constant strain to turn those things with any haste.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
          That much mods to a 2.4 & 35" tyres to push round and your weekly mileage aint a good match. Very low MPG, speedo will be way out and the engine will be under constant strain to turn those things with any haste.
          I agree too. Those are huge tyres for the 2.4L motor, even the 3.0L would be hard pushed. Also I wouldn't want to use it as a daily runner- take a test drive on the M-way, see if you think it's straining?

Nevillef

Comment

..unless it's been re-geared. Probably still not ideal for a daily runner though.

Comment

Originally posted by marky.b
              a) acceleration
              b) top end
              c) fuel consumption

cheers

Mark
              A=crap
              B=good if going down hill, otherwise you won't get to it
              c=crap.

Sorry, but unless its been regeared, it won't have any performance. And you'll need at least a 7" drop plate to get the trailer level.

IMHO, 4" body lift is pushing things, make sure the gear levers all work and select gears OK, all the brake lines arn't stretched, and the rad lines up with the fan OK. You sure its not 4" suspension and 3" body lift? Thats the more usual combination.

Thats a big commute for a truck that modified, every inch of lift is a trade off against comfort, wear/tear and handling. Make sure you drive a stock Surf so you can compare the lifted one for performance and handling.

Good luck.

PS, check you can insure it as well!
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
              X