Looking to buy a Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a Surf

I'm new here, and am looking to buy a Surf. Got my eyes on a '92 model, diesel, automatic. Anything in particular I should be looking out for??

Also, how can I tell if it's SSR-G or SSR-X? I don't recall seeing a badge on the back ( but it wouldn't surprise me if I missed it!!)

All help gratefully received!!!!

Many thanks

Dave
    Last edited by dave.j.robbo; 28 February 2005, 17:48.
    It just does, OK?

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
    I'm new here, and am looking to buy a Surf. Got my eyes on a '92 model, diesel, automatic. Anything in particular I should be looking out for??

Also, how can I tell if it's SSR-G or SSR-X? I don't recall seeing a badge on the back ( but it wouldn't surprise me if I missed it!!)

All help gratefully received!!!!

Many thanks

Dave
    If it's a 2.4and they claim that the head has been replaced, make sure you see the receipts and documents otherwise walk away.

Have a look at the search feature on the top of the page, you will find a wealth of knowledge.

Welcome to the madhouse !

Andy.

Comment

I'd check for smoke when hot, rear window works from the key and it does'nt pull to the left. From the last 2 I bought they seemto like going to the left lol. Dunno how you reallycheck a diesil engine as they are noisy and smoke when they are good

Comment

What exactly IS the problem with the head on a 2.4D?

Is there a foolproof way of checkingif it's been replaced?

Do they ALL NEED replacing?!?
        It just does, OK?

Comment

Donk mine pulls to the left, had tracting done ans still does it a little. Bloke at elite says its hthe shims( being non mechanical he could of told me its brussel sprouts and id believe him) any idea what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
            What exactly IS the problem with the head on a 2.4D?

Is there a foolproof way of checkingif it's been replaced?

Do they ALL NEED replacing?!?
            not all 2.4's need the head's doing. I think it's about 20% that had a defect and never got recalled to Toyota, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
            Mine's never gone, and it's been over here for 4 years now, others fail after doing 50 miles after the come off the boat.

The general advice is that if you are worried about head problems then buy either one that has had the head replaced and has all the documentation or buy a 3 litre.

There's 100's of posts on here about head's going, Do a search, have a read up on it and make your mind up from there.

There is also lots of adverts in the for sale section.

Andy.

Comment

I thought the head prob was caused by the cooling pipes furing up and letting it overheat...

Comment

Working...
              X