No announcement yet.

Just introducing myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with all the other comments regarding the 3rd Gen Surfs. My wife and I were looking for a relatively "cheap and cheerful" 2nd Gen model to use as an extra vehicle for towing, shifting things and putting the (newly acquired) dog into for trips out into the countryside and offroad.
    When we saw a 3rd Gen at a dealers and realised how highly specced they were, we fell in love with it straight away.
    What clinched it was when my wife drove it. She found it quick, comfortable and easy to drive. In fact it drives just like a car, despite its size. Reversing is a doddle, aspecially with the mirror that drops out of the rear spoiler - also makes a good talking point in car parks!!
    My wife was so taken with the Surf that she sold her car (Jaguar XJS Celebration convertible) and uses the Surf all the time. I only get the occasional chance to drive it! It is perfectly at home in town, on the motorway or in the backwoods.
    As to model of Surf - make a list of what you want on the vehicle - sunroof, rear spoiler mirror, tailgate mounted spare etc and then look for a vehicle with those things fitted, no matter what the badge says.
    All SSR-G's have the rear spoiler and mirror, but so does our SSR-X Limited.
    Some of the "extras" are retro fit - like bull bars and the "wood dash" kits available from Davey Knowles on this forum, but a tailgate mounted spare would be just too much hassle to do yourself.
    We live close to the M4 near Reading and you are more than welcome to bring your wife down to see our 1997 3rd Gen and have a chat with my wife - I'm sure she will be convinced by Denise and her tales of feeling safe and secure above most of the other traffic and the Surf's ability to swallow even a mega-shop, including all those "bargains" that you just can't do without!!
    Send me a PM if you want to arrange something.
    By the way - our Surf is black over silver with limo black glass.
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by dave_wfc
      Hi everyone!
      My names Dave and I'm in the process of selling my Audi A4 and buying my first Surf! I bought the Audi last year but since then my wife and I have had a baby and as most of you know the baggage that comes with transporting a baby around (just to the supermarket!) can be quite extensive!!
      I started looking for larger hatchbacks but then stumbled upon 4x4's on the Autotrader website,after looking at various makes ie ravs, crv's etc (but all looked to small and plastic!) I spotted a Hi Lux Surf and thought 'they look tough, reliable and safe'.
      Since then I've done a lot of research and I've decided I'd like a dark blue over silver, 3.0l TD SSR-G, around '95 reg, I say the 3 litre as I've read a lot of horror stories about the 2.4 and the SSR-G seems to be the best specced, and 95 onwards as I wanted twin airbags.
      The only problem is the wife isn't 100% on the idea! I've shown her lots of pics but she isn't convinced! So is there any of you guys who live near to Milton Keynes that own a similar model as I'm sure once she's seen one that will swing it!! She likes the look of them but is worried it's too big around town!
      I'd be very grateful for any feedback, the sooner the better - then I can get Surf buying
      Dave
      Congrats on the baby, we have a 16 month old son and are expecting our second in august so I know where your coming from. I have never had a 4x4 before and have found this site invaluable. My 1997 SSR-G 50K miles on clock, arrives from Japan in 5 weeks ...with an onroad price of 8400 (Algys Autos import scheme). looking at the forum beware of cowboy dealers etc use the forum and check (luckily for me I found this site after I parted cash ..and Algys autos is rated highly)
      Good luck
      Simon Forrest

Comment

the 3rd Gens are more like your estate.in that the full tailgate opens up as opposed to the window sliding down into the lower tailgate which then drops down.

the 3rds gens had a centre differential that allows the vehicle to operate in 4wd on any surface as the centre diff takes car of the different rotational speeds between the front and back set of wheels.
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by s2-wolf
          I agree with all the other comments regarding the 3rd Gen Surfs. My wife and I were looking for a relatively "cheap and cheerful" 2nd Gen model to use as an extra vehicle for towing, shifting things and putting the (newly acquired) dog into for trips out into the countryside and offroad.
          When we saw a 3rd Gen at a dealers and realised how highly specced they were, we fell in love with it straight away.
          What clinched it was when my wife drove it. She found it quick, comfortable and easy to drive. In fact it drives just like a car, despite its size. Reversing is a doddle, aspecially with the mirror that drops out of the rear spoiler - also makes a good talking point in car parks!!
          My wife was so taken with the Surf that she sold her car (Jaguar XJS Celebration convertible) and uses the Surf all the time. I only get the occasional chance to drive it! It is perfectly at home in town, on the motorway or in the backwoods.
          As to model of Surf - make a list of what you want on the vehicle - sunroof, rear spoiler mirror, tailgate mounted spare etc and then look for a vehicle with those things fitted, no matter what the badge says.
          All SSR-G's have the rear spoiler and mirror, but so does our SSR-X Limited.
          Some of the "extras" are retro fit - like bull bars and the "wood dash" kits available from Davey Knowles on this forum, but a tailgate mounted spare would be just too much hassle to do yourself.
          We live close to the M4 near Reading and you are more than welcome to bring your wife down to see our 1997 3rd Gen and have a chat with my wife - I'm sure she will be convinced by Denise and her tales of feeling safe and secure above most of the other traffic and the Surf's ability to swallow even a mega-shop, including all those "bargains" that you just can't do without!!
          Send me a PM if you want to arrange something.
          By the way - our Surf is black over silver with limo black glass.
          Hi! Thanks for the reply, it's always the same - I find a car I like but it's convincing my wife it's the best thing since sliced bread thats the hard part! She likes the new ravs but we decided theyre too expensive (and in my opinion too plasticky!) I saw a landcruiser but she thought it too boxy, but I'm nearly there with the Surf - she likes the look of them but I just needed for us both to see one in the flesh. I'm really grateful for the offer and I may very well take you up on it, I'll pm you if I get some time off work! (Heating engineers at this time of year get pretty busy !!)

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Book
            Is it possible to fit a diff in the transfer case of a 2nd gen surf???
            Not unless you work for Toyota R&D

Comment

Isn't there an advantage to having a locked transfer case when you're on extremely rough terrain? Or do the 3rd gens have a locking diff in the middle?

Comment

There isn't a prize for digging up the oldest thread.

Best ask your question in a new, and therefore relevant, thread.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                X