Broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband

I am currently using Virgin 24/7 as a dial up ISP , and basically it's crap , connection speeds are very hit and miss between 4.30 and 9pm and E-mail retrieval can be very slow , also the support people couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery .

So now I want to upgrade to Broadband , but some of the reviews that I have read dont seem to be very good either , so could you guy's and Gal's recommend a good provider , and tell me what to look out for , it would also be good to hear about any problems you have had and how efficient the support service was .

Originally posted by andy
    I am currently using Virgin 24/7 as a dial up ISP , and basically it's crap , connection speeds are very hit and miss between 4.30 and 9pm and E-mail retrieval can be very slow , also the support people couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery .

So now I want to upgrade to Broadband , but some of the reviews that I have read dont seem to be very good either , so could you guy's and Gal's recommend a good provider , and tell me what to look out for , it would also be good to hear about any problems you have had and how efficient the support service was .

wouldn't bother with Tiscali (pop ups!!)
    i've got BTOpenworld which seems ok... reliable not too much spam don't know if it's the fastest but it says connected at 576,000 Bps so that seems ok?
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi Andy
      I have ntl broadband not to sure of the speed but it seems pretty fast, I pay £25 a month. A few minor probs but the support has been ok.
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

I use BT openworld ADSL - seems pretty good performance whatever the time - never notice any difference in speed at different times. Fails now and again, but usually not for very long, and when I have had to call them a couple of times I have actually got to speak to a human.
        Generally happy although possibly not the cheapest.
        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I use PIPEX, it's been excellent and has a very good contention ratio and the biggest bandwidth in the country apparently.

If you go for it dont get a "Sticky" IP address, keeps the hackers guessing when it changes everytime - not for long unfortunately.

Also make sure you get a personal firewall installed as well. I wont scare you with my firewall logs!

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/sales/

Rich.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Pipex

Hi,
            like Rich I use pipex. excellent service, free modem and filters as well. 24.99 p/m

Steve
            Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

I use blueyonder (telewest) cable - very good, recommend it.
              Dave

Comment

Yup,

Telewest/Blueyonder no problems

Steve

Comment

I use Easynet Broadband (delivered by BT) no real problems, I'd hate to go back to dial up.

Cheers

Comment

I, like you, have been with Virgin 24/7 - am still with Virgin but on Broadband. £24.99 per month but the ASDL box was £49.99 as well. I'll echo the other comments about speed - once you've converted to BB you'll hate using dial up. It's down to personal preference. Virgrin makes you get another email/access address but you can still use any others you want for mail. I can get stationary at times (tends to be in the evening between 1900-2200 but I have found that if you disconnect then reconnect straight away it normally finds a clear route straight away.
                    Get it - you won't regret it
                    NO WORRIES!
                    Rusty

Comment

i use geo internet permanant broadband connection 576,000 kpbs and only £18.99 /month only one downside no isp e-mail, so i use hotmail at least i dont get the virus's bill does and that idea rocks !!!!
                      [img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/auto/car-smiley-006.gif[/img] [b][color=red]Anyone for [u]fluffy[/u] wheeltrims[/color][/b]

Comment

Originally posted by jotto
                        Hi Andy
                        I have ntl broadband not to sure of the speed but it seems pretty fast, I pay £25 a month. A few minor probs but the support has been ok.
                        i wouldn't recommend NTL, they're a right bunch of cowboys!
                        we had cable TV and phone off them and the customer service was so bad we cancelled it (about a year ago)
                        still getting bills now!
                        the police came round at 6am last week to tell us they'd had a 999 call from our address... told us the number and it was the NTL phone!!
                        explained all and showed the the end of the cable poking out the pavement!
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I've still got dial up - no broadband out here in the boondocks!
                          my ISP is Onetel and they've been fantastic. great service and aftersales. I'll go with them for broadband as soon as I'm able to, but I'd reccomend you ask around people you know who live near you and find out what they've got and how they find it as noone will actually guarantee a minimum speed for connections.
                          I tried 4 of the more popular ISPs before onetel and they all came well short of my expectations.

Andy

Comment

Cool ISP

Yup, its Telewest for me. No probs, and I think that in my area they are now doing free installation. They even provided a helpline CD in a nice tin box so that if I have any probs I don't need to ring them.
                            I have never loaded the CD and never rung them, the line has gone down for about an hour once in 8 months.
                            It's fast, it's reliable, and I am online whenever I am in the house, all for £25 a month.

Cheers

Rob G

Comment

Working...
                            X