Spare wheel Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare wheel Scam?

Friends of mine have a citren ?Picasso..

They where driving down the road the other day and heard rattling. Got out and checked under the car to find the under slung spare had gone and the hook that holds it had been taped up..??

Anyone heard of this happening before.

I thought it might be a scam from the garage that had changed the tyre a year ago…and forgot to replace the spare (honest gov) the tape used to stop you from hearing it rattling as you drove off.. Then if you noticed it later that week they would say Whoops forgot to put it back on sorry. It’s a bit hard to question a year later when the tape comes loose

Does any one lock there spare on?

Mark

Ps the only way of getting the tyre down in there car is from inside! Unlike the surf..

This has been going on for years.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

so they hadn't checked their spare for a year??
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

yep

Comment

You'll soon notice its gone on the rear carrier!!

If you have a underslung spare, this is why you should go offroading, hide it under tons on mud.

You won't get the spare off without the right lenght/shape bar, I doubt its much of a problem in general, if a garage has messed with my spare, I'll always check is put back properly, so it would be noticed if it was missing.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            You won't get the spare off without the right lenght/shape bar, .
            with the cage type, such as a reanault 5 GT turbo or fiesta a set of bolt cutters works!..
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              with the cage type, such as a reanault 5 GT turbo or fiesta a set of bolt cutters works!..
              ? wot you doing nicking festa wheels bit small as a spare

Comment

You can get a bolt kit for Peugeots etc that goes through the boot and bolts the spare wheel in place, i`ve replaced loads of spare wheels/tyres over the years you would have thought the car makers would have thought of something better by now.

Like Tony says its not very likey that someone will nick the underslung spare off a surf although i have seen it done on a Galaxy, they use a simular setep exept you lower the spare from inside the boot.
                Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                  Like to see someone laying under my spare with a pair of bolt cutters, then trying to catch a 31x10.5 tyre on their head!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Saw a Surf in London last summer with just the rear mount hinges and two short bits of tube. Looks like they cut the carrier off cos of the locking wheel nuts.
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I'd like to see someone remove my underslung Surf spare... I still can't.
                      :

Comment

Working...
                      X