advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed

i bought my surf two weeks ago and from day one she has pulled to the left i figured this was the tracking and was going to get it sorted but just noticed today when parked on level ground she leans to the passenger side looked underneath and it looks to me as though the arm thingy connecting the wheel to engine just under drive shaft(excuse my detailing dont know a deal about things yet!! ) is seems to go straight across wheras other side comes down at a steeper angle does anyone have any ideas what this may be before i take it to garage and them charge me an arm and a leg just to have a look cheers

When you say "connecting the wheel to the engine", can I ask what you mean? If you mean the actual road wheel, it's connected to the chassis via a control arm (or wishbone).

On an earlier Surf with torsion bars, ride height on the front is determined by adjustment of the torsion bars (which also provide suspension), but a '95 Surf has coils on the front, and I don't know if ride height is adjustable with coils...

Are tyre pressures equal?
    Does one spring have a spacer while the other doesn't?
    Maybe the springs are shagged?

These helped me understand...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d8016216c.jsp

My Surf pulls to the left also. To cure it (when I have money), I'll be replacing the pitman arm and the idler arm bushes, as a couple of guys on here are doing quite soon...

http://www.yotasurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11418

Hope this helps...

Mark
    :

Comment

Is it on here?
      Attached Files
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Get a tape measure out and measure the distance from the wheel rim to the wheel arch (this eliminates unknowns such as tyre wear, pressure etc.). The distance should be about 13 - 14". Either way both sides should be the same (in fact it ought to be the same at the rear too). If not- then the suspension needs adjustment on one side. An easy job if it's a torsion arm Surf- can't comment on coil sprung ones though.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by jedi
          i bought my surf two weeks ago and from day one she has pulled to the left i figured this was the tracking and was going to get it sorted but just noticed today when parked on level ground she leans to the passenger side looked underneath and it looks to me as though the arm thingy connecting the wheel to engine just under drive shaft(excuse my detailing dont know a deal about things yet!! ) is seems to go straight across wheras other side comes down at a steeper angle does anyone have any ideas what this may be before i take it to garage and them charge me an arm and a leg just to have a look cheers
          I bought my surf in August with brand new tyres on. I noticed that it pulled to the left, not severly but enough to notice on a straight road. As the tyres wore the pull became less. Most roads in Britain are cambered from the crown or centre to allow rain water to drain. Unless the pull on your Surf is really noticeable then due to the large amount of power assistance on the Surf steering it will follow the natural camber of the road. On a quiet dual carriageway one day I drove down the outside lane and... low and behold... my Surf pulled to the right as the camber on the crown of the road in the R/H lane was to the right. Since the tyres now have approx 8000km's on they appear to have worn to suit the Surfs suspension geometry and the pull now is only just noticeable.
          With regards to the lean to the left/passenger side this may need to be checked, most Surfs I have seen appear to lean slightly to the drivers side due most likely to the fuel tank being almost under the drivers seat. The Surf holds approx 13gals of fuel which is around 130lb of weight. As Laser Jock says, yours may simply need to have the torsion bars adjusted to bring it back to level
          Nil Illigitimi Carborundum

Comment

check the springs are seated correctly... there's no adjustment on them but where they're bolted onto the top of the strut may have come loose?? does it clonk on corners and does it ride the same both sides??

could be a knackered spring, they're not hard to change, just a bit of a pooey job cos the nuts will be bitches to get off.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
            X