Scared...dazed n confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtydog
    'allo 'allo -welcome aboard mate! Where abouts in London?

Hi, i`m in Hayes middlesex.what about you mate.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with the comments already stated. It was by luck that I got my surf and by luck it was a 3.0ltr [2.4 ltr was on the forecourt at the same time] but the looks got me.

Too be honest I didn't know Surfs existed before seeing mine and I didn't even have a test drive...which has always been unusual for me when looking at cars. I jumped from a 1.3Lxi Felicia to a beasty that in someway drives like a car but with the extra umph!!!.

I have found the car easy to do simple servicing on [other cars I wouldn't have attempted and always put them in the garage] as this is the first vehicle I have done the servicing on. My brother-in-law has an Isuzu Bighorn and has already said about a Surf when he changes the vehicle next time after seeing the engine compartment and how easy it is to get to parts compared to his.

Most parts are easy to get hold of, either through milners, roughtrax or ordered through Toyota [although the latter can be pricey as being main dealer].

The SSRG is the top spec and SSV the lowest, but as Slugsie has said you could find lower spec models with all the gizmos as options.

Just search around and ask questions..if you dont get the right feeling walk away and try somewhere else...you will have the GRIN factor after buying one.
      Gaz

Comment

Surfs up

Hiya daphet, I notice you are in Newmarket, 4x4 Ltd in Thetford are only round the corner from you, good people...bought an SSR-G from them last friday. If you can, take a pal who knows about diesel engines. I did mainly because I know doodly squat about mechanical things and they were completely cool with that. If you see a 2.4 met blue SSR-G forget about it, thats mine they are still tarting it up prior to my collecting it, but there was a lovely met red 3.0 in great condition that I was really tempted by. If you type into Google "history of 4runner" you should come up with a site that has a PDF concise history of the Surf which as I recall explains most of the terminology SSR-X,SSR-G etc.
        And lastly go to www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm. Print this out immediately and learn it ! It comes up with a ton of questions I never would have thought of in a million years. You do wind up putting the seller/dealer through the third degree but hey I'm not planning on adding them to my christmas card list ! we just want to know the Surf we are buying is tickety boo !

Good Luck and regards Robin xx

Comment

Reliability

Just re-read your original message, as far as reliability goes I spent six months researching Surf's, the good, the bad, the ugly etc. But the deciding factor was watching the Ray Mears survival thing on BBC2. In the Australian outback they have rescue chappies to save no brain tourists who get themselves lost in the outback, (you know the sort of thing 300 miles from anywhere, 130 deg + F), what do these guys drive ? right first time ! Surfs They trust their LIVES to the reliability of the Surf...Do I need to go on...

Robin xx

Comment

Working...
          X