Best 2.4 engine in the world ... EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 2.4 engine in the world ... EVER

**edited** old blurb what doesnt matter now ..... coz....
    Last edited by JimL; 14 March 2005, 23:29.

Jim
    I'm lookin for a new batt. What make/serial no. is it. To many added electrics, methinks!
    Cheers
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
      Jim
      I'm lookin for a new batt. What make/serial no. is it. To many added electrics, methinks!
      Cheers
      My batteries had been dodgy for a while, so I got 2 new budget ones about 2 weeks ago, only 315CCA each, but with a 2 year guarantee and for €160 the pair. As for the make? Can't remember, certainly not one of the big names, can check later tho...
      Not the best, but at that price they'll do me for a while.
      Also made a change to find someone who knew the Surf, my regular tyre/battery supplier rang his supplier to order me in the batteries, as soon as he mentioned Surf, guy on the other end said, yeah, probably twin battery set-up, quoted p/n's and sent them out that afternoon.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Just went to the local factors in Athy and his book recommended a 650cca battery for a hilux, so i bought a 670 one just to be on the safe side. Only €88, so not too bad. Will hook it up tonight and see how it works. If ok, gonna hook the old one up as a second battery for accessories.
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Got mine off friend who does new batteries all day every day, charged me €70 cash. Delboy what size and does it fit, i.e. 065 (code on sticker)

Comment

...but nothing lasts for ever

Hows this for a cruel twist of fate:

Went to hand over my surf tonite to a man in Carlow and on the way .... it calves!

What can I say only phuck phuck phuck phuck and then phuck. Driving along and she just stops running, my guess is either snapped 1 year old cambelt (surely not), turbo furboed, or something to do with fuel shutoff coz it surely did just shut off dead.

Either way, sale is off and Ive gotta get that damn crank pulley off and have a look inside again phuck

Comment

Ah ballcocks. Hard luck!
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Ah no no no no, looking thru the inspection hole in the timing belt cover the camshaft sprocket aint turnin and all the other pulleys outside are!

My guess is my new cambelt with no more than 5,000 miles on it has snapped, further spannerwork needed (ah lipstick on me tea cup who washes the dishes in this house, not me anyway so I better shut up) but tonite cant be arssed

Anybody got a small block chevy engine?

Comment

oopsy! not good!

Poor Jim.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                    Ah no no no no, looking thru the inspection hole in the timing belt cover the camshaft sprocket aint turnin and all the other pulleys outside are!

My guess is my new cambelt with no more than 5,000 miles on it has snapped, further spannerwork needed (ah lipstick on me tea cup who washes the dishes in this house, not me anyway so I better shut up) but tonite cant be arssed

Anybody got a small block chevy engine?
                    Jim, did you replace the tensioner, I know of a couple of motors that either jammed the tensioner or sheared the bolt that holds it on not long after changing a belt.

If I had a SBC, it would be going my truck!

Good luck.

Comment

Antoine, would you believe it - I didnt. Now you know another I reckon. Got close to finding out whats gone in there coz at close tonite I was just at the Beechers Brook crank pulley with no puller but me hands (which actually worked last time but this time its not budging)

I'm gonna design and sell the gizmo that makes this job a sinch without a real puller I'm tellin ya. Whipped off the starter to jam the flywheel but nothing would stay there but got the nut off in the end.

Comment

Jim,

you make it, and they will buy it....

Comment

Snapped belt, here it is

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                            Snapped belt, here it is

ooch! thats tough, was it a new belt? Didn't install it with a Stanley Knife?!?!

Hope the rest of the motor isn't to stuffed.

Comment

Practically new Tony, has about 5,000kms on it. Went on March '04, was used for about 6 mths in all that time.

This bites coz you put a new cambelt on to avoid this happening, should have left the old one on.

Comment

Working...
                              X