What was your best era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your best era?

If it was possible to go back in time. What year would you choose and why?
    Mine would be the summer of '76. That was the best school hols ever and I was gutted when it ended. Cos of the age I was then, I didnt take much notice about hose pipe bans and getting burnt in the blazing sun. It meant I could stay out til late, go places without worrying about the rain etc, you could even leave your doors and windows open then without fear of being burgled. What about you lot then?

1976 was a good year for me as well playing near the river which was low & drinking CIDER borrowed from the local tennis club.
    I left school in 1981 another good year. 80's Music was the best.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

I remember that summer very well. Spent 2 weeks in Woolacombe in 90 degree sunshine. If there are better beaches anywhere when the weathers like that I've yet to find them! For me, the best time was a couple of years on from that when me and my mates hit the pub and disco scene. Saturday night fever, white suits, medallions, flares! Oh yes, bring it back!!

Comment

1973 when i first met Terrie, and O yes we had Cherries if this ole memory serves me right
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

The eightees had everything i love. Pity I was too young to enjoy it back then. It had the nicest cars - big turbo ones, the best tv - knight rider, a-team, the music was great and best of all there were no gatso's!

Comment

Originally posted by RMS_CLK
            The eightees had everything i love. Pity I was too young to enjoy it back then. It had the nicest cars - big turbo ones, the best tv - knight rider, a-team, the music was great and best of all there were no gatso's!
            Err let me remind you of a few things in the eighties........Bad hair, dodgy fashion sense, WHAM, Frankie T-Shirts, and dayglo socks with white T shirts and suit jackets (Miami Vice fans will know).

BUT there was Ferrari Testarossas, Lamborghini's and XR3i's (hmm maybe not the last one), Group B rally cars, ohh how I want a S4 Audi Quattro.

The seventies ROCK, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, MK3 Cortinas, Punks, Thatcher, Flares, Hillman Tigers, MK1 Granadas and of course The Sweeney and The Profesionals
            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Nah, the sixties was best. The Beatles, Stones & no worry about Gatso's cos there wasn't any upper speed limit!!!!! And besides, I was still young then.
              Mike G

Comment

I've got to go with the 70's too. In the 60's they dreamt about all the things we did in the 70's. Life was great before AIDS, speed cameras, the Police Service, too much electrification of music, lager louts and the weekly booze fuelled punch-up.

If I coud get into a time machine and go back to an era before I think it would be the mid 60's. I would loved to have seen Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cook, Wilson Picket, Sam And Dave and some of the other great soul artists in their heyday.

I can't complain though I saw The Detroit Spinners, The Detroit Emeralds, The Four Tops, The Supremes and Slade, at the California Ballroom in Dunstable.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

I was only born in '68, so my experience of the '70s was from a child's eyes, however, having a musician & music addict for a Dad, I was exposed to the BEST music - How many 10 year-olds were listening to (and enjoying) Blood, Sweat & Tears, Mike Oldfield, Peter Frampton, Jean Michel Jarre and so much more. I loved being let stay up for Starsky & Hutch on Friday nights.

But my favourite time was when I just arrived on Hamilton Island in Australia at the start of a 1-year "working" holiday, after having spent the previous 2 months "working" as a "DJ" in a heavy rock bar in Greece. I felt as free and carefree in that time as I did when was as a kid. No Rain by Blind Melon and Mr Jones by Counting Crows where on the radio, and I had Primus & Led Zeppelin in my walkman.

Good question, this...
                  :

Comment

Definitely the 80's.

Remember The Jam, Madness, Two Tone music, U2, The Smiths, New Order. (Music to slash your wrists to)

Monday nights were 'ladies' nights at our local nightclub. Free to get in and drinks were cheap as long as you smuggled a half bottle of vodka in your handbag.

Comment

Bits of the 70s and bits of the 80s for me, some of the music and the stuff in the 70s was so great, a lot of it was just junk, same goes for the 80s.

Good things from the 70s:

Muscle Cars
                      Pink, Floyd, Hendrix, Led Zep, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and that sort of music

Bad things from the 70s
                      Ridiculous clothes
                      Some pretty dire music

Good things from the 80s
                      U2, Style Council, The Jam, The Smiths, Japan

Bad things from the 80s
                      The Housing boom then crash (well early 90s for that anyway)
                      Ridiculous clothes.
                      Yuppies

Comment

Japan are great! I bought a fretless bass for xmas, and I'm attempting to try some Mick Karn basslines. Can't get the hang of his sideways moonwalking, mind...
                        :

Comment

Think you need to be on some mind enhancing substances for that one.

Always fancied a fretless bass - Fender Jazz bass preferably

Comment

Gotta be the 70's cos i was born then so thats gotta be cool init!

The Professionals series started on the telly!

Ford made proper cars!

And good old american muscle cars.
                            Attached Files

Comment

i'd go back to 1976, film my conception and bribe my parents with it!...

personally i can't wait for next week!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X