Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonyN and Linda - a Spannerphobe's story

Gentlefolk,

I would like to extend a warm and hearty thanks to TonyN and Linda for their hospitality and their unwavering help and assistance in helping this spannerphobe in replacing his front bearings... It wasn't absolutely necessary, but Tony did it none the less... Meanwhile Linda kept me lubricated with plenty of tea...

As a result, my baby has some new bearings, a more focused direction on road... and some brand new toys..... (Manual hubs....) It has also allowed me to pick up a few more items that need some attention [there is always something isn't there...], consequently Milners will be getting a call on Monday.

Once again, Thanks again for taking time out of your busy deacorating/rennovating schedule to help out a fellow surfer in bother.

Best wishes, andyL
    Attached Files

TONY HE THE MAN.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

I entirely concur...

if anyone needs to get some work done... speak nicely to TonyN and Linda and ask them...

Fantastic Service and it was Bl**dy cold this morning... at silly o'clock...

AndyL

Comment

Well done guys...and its nice to hear of praise being given where its due. We don't hear of this alot nowadays.

Well done

Now just to find a job and house near to Tony/Linda LOL
        Gaz

Comment

i wonder if they could give me a hand to pay some of my bills .....lol
          ITS GOOD BUT ITS NOT RIGHT ?

Comment

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sorry TonyN,

didn't mean to embarass you.. credit where it is due, and all that.

I am just not used to people helping when I ask...

Just wanted to say thanks.

AndyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                Sorry TonyN,

didn't mean to embarass you.. credit where it is due, and all that.

I am just not used to people helping when I ask...

Just wanted to say thanks.

AndyL
                Thats not embarassing, you should see some of the things Linda posts up about me!

It was fun, kept me away from fixing the house for a day!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

TonyN,

as a result of our bearing session... I have replaced the driver side front caliper. Apparently in 1991 the style changes (according to Milners). This time they appear to get it right. Try and work out when your 'Toy' was born... mine was November 1991...

A word of warning, the Brake pads are fairly universal, however the brake pad fitting kit that Milners sell is not. The pins that slide through the caliper to locate the pad were too short, and the springs that retain the pins were also too short (probably for the previous style caliper). I had to re-use the original pins and springs.

I have also started on the bush replacement for the anti-roll bars. Very proud, managed the front all on my own....

Plenty of WD40 to loosen everything off. Remember that they have probably been there since it was born. Loosen and remove the bolts that run into the lower suspension arm first, then loosen the bolts that attach the anti-roll bar to the frame. Make sure you have hold of the bar as you release these bolts as it is quite substantial and will leave marks...

You will notice that these bushes tend to degrade over time (why else would you replace them...). I order the Prothane Bush kits from Explorer Procomp. These are a very tight fit. Use plenty of the silicone grease wherever the bush touches metal. Place the larger of the bushes on the anti-roll bar and manouver it into the original position. Put more grease on the outside of this bush where the bracket will sit, this will assist in getting the bracket over the bush without separating it over the split.

Obviously, pictures whilst my hands were ralatively clean... I'll take some more pictures later on...

Hopefully, this will help someone out...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by AndyLala; 2 February 2005, 10:23.

Comment

TonyN,

as a result of our bearing session... I have replaced the driver side front caliper. Apparently in 1991 the style changes (according to Milners). This time they appear to get it right. Try and work out when your 'Toy' was born... mine was November 1991...
                    We changed the calipers and brake pads on the Bullet last night. fortunately they fitted fine - shes a 94 truck.

Glad you managed to fit them and change the bushes ok!!!

Oh yeah - dont worry about embarrassing Tony - he loves the praise really...
                    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Any press is good press...

If things are quiet this afternoon, I'll do the bushes on the rear....

andyL

Comment

Any press is good press...

andyL
                        Absolutely - we want all the surf work we can get!!! Tony will be able to do Mon and Tue as well as weekends soon... So if anyone has any little jobs they cant/dont want to do, and you dont want to be ripped off by a garage, give us a shout!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

cunning location Linda
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                            cunning location Linda

Hehe - I changed it last week and forgot to change it back!!! Amazing that I havent got abuse before this...

LOLOL
                            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

More on the bushes...

It would appear that our american cousins don't like it too stiff...

When you have stopped laughing... in all seriousness.

Anti-Roll bars is what I am talking about.

American 4Runners usually come with 25mm front bars and 18mm rear bars...

Most Japanese Surfs (not for the american market), come with 29mm up front and 25mm rear bars.

Nothing new there I hear you say.

Aha... here it comes.

If you buy the Explorer ProComp Bush kits (as I did), you will notice that they are american products... for the american market.... And struggle as I might the buggers won't fit. So my baby is still wearing the worn out rubber OEM ones that it came with to mount the bars to the frame. the Bushes on the trailing links however are spot on.

Explorer ProComp here in the UK are now very clear on this matter, and are endeavouring to get some new 29mm mount bushes made up. The chap on the end of the phone said "it may take some time" and was reluctant to quantify that.

All that being said, he was good on the phone, said he would send me out another pair of 25mm bar mount bushes, to get the rear spot on, and would let me know when the fronts appeared. All round helpful and apologetic. Said he was going to carve up all the rear kits he had... so if anyone wants the trailing arm bushes, take it from me they certainly fit a Nov 91 2nd gen... see pictures.

Images below show the strip down and the sequence of the washers and bits.. 12mm and 14mm sockets needed. Not that the washer in the centre has a raised edge which fits into the mount bracket. Two washers below, one above. The raised edge on the bushes faces the mounting bracket...

All said and done, you gets what you pay for. Full set of anti-roll bar bushes from ProComp cost about £7 for the front and £9 for the rear, something like that... I think some one quoted £30 for two OEM Rubber mount bushes on their own...

I didn't know they were red before they arrived, but they do look quite sexy as you get a glimpse of them in the rear wheel arch...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X