Last night's Aurora (+ Surf)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last night's Aurora (+ Surf)

Photo of last night's Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). The faint purple and green colours behind the clouds are the Northern Lights (I'm afraid I missed the brightest part of the display at 8:00pm). The yellow/orange glow on the horizon is light pollution from Coventry & Rugby. The Surf is entirely illuminated by moonlight! Total exposure time around 30 seconds.

Nevillef
    Attached Files

Originally posted by laser_jock99
    Photo of last night's Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). The faint purple and green colours behind the clouds are the Northern Lights (I'm afraid I missed the brightest part of the display at 8:00pm). The yellow/orange glow on the horizon is light pollution from Coventry & Rugby. The Surf is entirely illuminated by moonlight! Total exposure time around 30 seconds.

Nevillef
    AURORA no its a fire over the hill
    Enjoying Life after Cancer
    Pops

Comment

Nice photo...

Nicely done...

andyL

Comment

your all wrong the Aurora is broken in Southampton water

I ve never seen an aurora myself but at the moment the short wave bands are dead as a result of solar wind....I normally listen to a few guys around Europe on 3.5Mhz some in Norway Germany and Bulgaria talking to the States, I could only just hear the guys in Norway but not in Kidderminster...and the bands are still dead 24hrs on

you can always see pics on www.spaceweather.com
        Last edited by mark g8awo; 22 January 2005, 20:37.
        Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

MARK theres some good piccies taken in scotland on that site.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Not really a radio ham in this pic from Alaska
            Attached Files
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

I'd love to see a sight like that its so MAGICAL
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

there's something we don't get in the south... get a great view from my flat in edinburgh though.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yes it's nice to catch an aurora from time to time. Last night's display was strong but of very short duration so I missed the intense activity. For comparison here's a photo I took in 1989 of a really good aurora- a very rare sight this far South! And another shot of moonlit Surf.

For anyone who's interested you can get e-mail alerts of unusual 'space weather' activity here:

http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/

Nevillef
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice photos

Yeah it is cool to see it. I saw it once here in Southampton, but it wasn't around for long, and I've also seen it flying to Alaska over the north pole from the flight deck of a 747. Now THAT was cool! Perfectly clear night, full moon, nowt but snowy stuff below and this eerie green glowy thing! Smart!
                    I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Working...
                    X