Pto winch fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pto winch fitting

Hi, i was reading a thread 2day that made me wonder is there any way to fit a landcruiser pto winch to a hilux?.Here in new zealand i know that there are some landcruisers that run the 2.4 turbo desiel and the same gearbox as a hilux with a different transfer box(think landcruiser is a 70 series bundera made for australian and new zealand market) .I wondered if it would be at all posible to swap transfer boxes' and then fit the pto winch to my hilux (91 ssr limited 2.4 turbo D)?
    any help ideas that you guys have would be great.also has anyone done anything like this to theirs? or would i be better to fit an electric winch and winch bumper and be done with it?
    thanks again, Grant

Macca.

Not sure if it would fit, think it is quite a different size externally and also not sure if it would mount up to the gearbox. LC Transfer box is a cog to cog driven unit wheras the Surf is generally a Chain driven one.

To be honest a PTO winch sounds like a good idea - no requirement for heavier duty batteries, smaller footprint as no motor is required etc. However you would need to do some serious modification to the front arrangement - radiator etc probably to fit the drive shaft and to be honest, my experience of using PTO winches is that they tend to be a bit brutal in operation. They are also generally less powerfull than a decent electric winch.

Looking through the manual on my LC 80, the PTO option if fitted is only useable up to 2000kgs which is less powerfull than a lot of the electric winches out there. Also you won't be able to get usefull accessories like remotes for a PTO unit. These are very usefull for self recovery if you need a spotter and you are the only one around.

I think in the end it would be much cheaper and better to get winch bumper and an electric winch and go that route than the PTO route. Thats unless you want to do the full job and use a universal PTO mounting and a demountable PTO winch - then you can set yourself up as a logging company out in the bush and run all kinds of funky things from the PTO without needing a generator. Now that would be something.

Cheers

Comment

thanks andy for the info.I was having a good look today at my hilux next to a mates cruiser and came to alot of the same conclusions.I think ill save a bit more $$ and go the electric way one day.at the moment ill have to stick with the good old hand winch.
      But as you say having a decent pto would be handy as on old landys lol

Comment

PTO winch

HI!

A passing thought, if you have power steering, tap into the steering hydraulics, if not, add a power steering pump to run the winch. Another alternative is to run a hydraulic pump from the end of the crankshaft.

I'm not in the US, but I've read that hydraulic winches are frequently run from the power steering.

Matthew

Comment

Working...
        X