Hi Just bought my first Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Just bought my first Surf

Hi, ive just bought a 92 surf 2.4td and im new to the site. I know very little about the surfs at the minite but from reading your forum I gather that the cylinder heads go porous. Had a scare yesterday which turned out to be a stuck thermostat. Has anyone got any usefull info for a newbie surf'er? Any info regarding maintainence of the cooling system + how to keep my head sweet, would be appreciated.

Originally posted by RMS_CLK
    Hi, ive just bought a 92 surf 2.4td and im new to the site. I know very little about the surfs at the minite but from reading your forum I gather that the cylinder heads go porous. Had a scare yesterday which turned out to be a stuck thermostat. Has anyone got any usefull info for a newbie surf'er? Any info regarding maintainence of the cooling system + how to keep my head sweet, would be appreciated.
    Welcome to the NUT house and keep smiling....you will find most of your answers via the Search facility as they have been covered many times.
    Gaz

Comment

welcom on board mate if you need it ,you can be sure it is on here ,if you cant find it in the search option then ask,someone on here will no for sure ,so keep looking and enjoy

Comment

Welcome to the best forum in the UK. The heads tend to crack they are not porous.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Get the coolant system flushed, make sure there are no airlocks when it is refilled, keep checking and filling up for a few weeks, get a new rad cap, change the thermostat, make sure you have no tiny rust holes in the rad, if it ever goes near the red STOP and dont drive it til it cools down. The head cracks when it overheats. Hopefully you have one that has never overheated before and thus has no cracks. If the head is already cracked it will show up one day however careful you are. A lot of people never have a problem, a lot of people do. Just drive it and enjoy it. The future will take care of itself.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Linda. Took the thermostat out and it was fine 100% all day yesterday. Started overheating tonight on way home from work, so looks like the damage may have been done when the thermostat stuck. Can get a good used head for £230 complete, or a brand new bare head for £650. How do these prices sound? I think i'll probably go for the used one, I really dont have time to start building a head. It will give me a chance to get other things done at the same time. Can you tell me if I can buy an injector rebuilt kit + who makes it?

Comment

Thanks Linda. Took the thermostat out and it was fine 100% all day yesterday. Started overheating tonight on way home from work, so looks like the damage may have been done when the thermostat stuck. Can get a good used head for £230 complete, or a brand new bare head for £650. How do these prices sound? I think i'll probably go for the used one, I really dont have time to start building a head. It will give me a chance to get other things done at the same time. Can you tell me if I can buy an injector rebuilt kit + who makes it?
              Everything I've read here advises strongly against buying second hand / reconditioned cylinder heads, scroll back up this to Marky's post and have a look at the bottom of his message. Apparently this is the guy to contact.

Comment

I think i'll probably go for the used one
                Jeez some people sound like they want their stuff to be foobarred so they can get new parts. If youre onto UK Cylinderheads hang up the phone - theres a chance that you've an airlock, eliminate all the possibilities, then ring for a new head

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                  Jeez some people sound like they want their stuff to be foobarred so they can get new parts. If youre onto UK Cylinderheads hang up the phone - theres a chance that you've an airlock, eliminate all the possibilities, then ring for a new head

What is the best way to get rid of an airlock in these? Can you bleed the air out somewhere or should I just let her run with the cap off + keep topping the water up? Just wondering how it ran 100% yesterday for an hour long journey, and today on a 1/2 hour journey it overheats.

Comment

Well having drained the rad with the bottom hose off and running water from a garden hose down thru it from the top rad hose, also running water down thru where the thermostat sits, I refilled mine and bled it successfully and you can read it here http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...5401#post85401

Hope it works out

Comment

Appreciate the help guys

Comment

Working...
                      X