old tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old tales

my reply to the belly button thread got me wondering - what tall tales have you been told by your parents and for what reason.

To reiterate: I was 2 years old and my mum, bless her, told me if I didn't keep it clean it would come undone and my insides spill out - she did it to make sure I washed myself so the reason was a good one - but oh those terrors it inspired in me!
    Dave

and while I'm thinking, my dad used to sing to me the old song about "Iknow an old lady who swallowed a fly" - he used to chase me about and tickle me until I lost my breath when it got to the spider wriggling and tickling inside her - and that's why I couldn't face spiders for years!!!!

aint it amazing what parents torture their kids with?
    Dave

Comment

my mother used to tell me not to go near swans as they can break your arm
      [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

that's the stuff I mean - I wonder how many of us had similar tales told to us
        Dave

Comment

and if we were 'pulling faces' my nan used to say 'if the wind changes, you'll stay like that'.
          [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

every time i ate a yogurt my dad would tell me that the strawberry or whatever was a slug. i still dont eat yogurts. i never believed him, i just got sick of him saying it EVERY TIME I ATE ONE!!!!!!! i feel better now
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by stara
              my mother used to tell me not to go near swans as they can break your arm
              Yeah I got that one as a kid too. Does anyone know of anybody having their arm/leg broken by a swan/goose. Sounds farfetched now but when I was 5 I was terrified of the birds by the canal.

Comment

When I was about 4'ish an uncle told me that, "When the clock strikes 13, the lions on top of the gateposts, at the entrance to Woburn Park, get down for a drink of water from the lake".

Everytime we went through the park I used to check that the statues were there.

I just remembered another one. Don't crush eggshells in your hands or you will get warts on them.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

My mum told me that if I didnt wash my tummy button trees would start growing in the dirt!

My nan always said that my appendix was like a tea strainer to catch any skin and pips you eat and thats why I shouldnt eat tomato pips! I still cant eat them today without thinking about it!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Did you know that if you get the fluff from your belly button and some ear wax you can make a candle.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

I just remembered another one. Don't crush eggshells in your hands or you will get warts on them.
                      I had different version, I was told if you don't crush your eggshells, witches turn them into boats and go and sink real boats by crushing them!!

Also not to tread on the cracks in paving stones, as something bad will happen, csn't remember what.

Don't pick your nose, brain will come out, making faces, etc,etc.......
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I was told that i would go !!!!!!! BLIND !!!!!!
                        !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

An ex-girlfriends Dad was an HGV driver and he told her that when the lorries flash their headlamps they are talking to each other - nothing to do with the drivers. She believed him because the flash/dip switch was a footswitch in those days. Bless!
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

my mother told me that the cars had big teeth and would bite if I went near the road

so when my gran took me to the corner shop and she tried to cross the road I nearly crawled up her skirt and hung on to her leg fore dear life and would not let go

she gave my mother a right ear bashing

and it did not work as by the time I was 10 I had got run over twice
                            TAF

All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.

Comment

my mum told me when the ice cream van plays 'music' it means they have run out of ice cream..
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X