thinking of importing a surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking of importing a surf

direct from Japan or using an agent. Anyone gone down this route? What kind of savings are available and whats the situation with the SVA ? Thinking of a third gen. Any advice appreciated.

phil
    Last edited by boxertwin; 2 January 2005, 15:50.

lmporting

Hi and a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" l would defernatly say "YES" to importing your self
    l have been doing it for years now. The savings can be well worth it depending on how old a vehicle you bring in, l buy direct off firms in Japan and the only agent l use is a shipping agent. The only thing l will say is dont jump in feet first and buy the 1st thing you see shop around, l personally wont buy from the "Auctions" you have to make your mind up quickly so you cannot compare prices. Good luck if you decide to have ago.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

SINGLE VEHICLE APPROVAL

The rules about Single Vehicle Approval changed on 1 February 2001, and will change again on 1 November 2001.

Essentially, any car which was not first registered in Europe and which does not carry a European Certificate of Type Approval ('C of C') is required to pass a Single Vehicle Approval test at a government HGV testing centre.

The only exceptions are cars more than 10 years old and cars 3-10 years old which have been owned abroad by the importer for at least six months in a country where the importer has lived for at least 12 months.

Further changes from 1 November 2001 to an 'Enhanced' SVA Test seem likely to make compliance so expensive that importing used cars from outside the EU will no longer be viable.

The relevant SVA and ESVA booklets can be obtained from the Vehicle Certification Agency, tel: 0117 951 5151, or check the website: www.via.gov.uk. You also can buy a copy of the 'Single Vehicle Approval' Inspection Manual, priced £25, from the Vehicle Inspectorate, PO Box 12, Swansea SA1 1BP.

Another site to look at at is Far East Services on http://www.importedvehicles.co.uk/...they provide advice as well as other things such as Conversions from km/h to MPH, Owners manuals SVA Application Forms downloadable in Adobe Acrobat (*.pdf) format etc...
      Last edited by Gizmo; 2 January 2005, 19:44. Reason: added Far East Services website
      Gaz

Comment

Hi....I've wanted a Surf for a long time now after a local garage here started selling 2.4 and 3.0 litres . But to be honest whilst the 4x4s were excellent, I was never really sure of what I was getting because they were imported . I'm not in the trade although i've been building cars since the age of 13 so I do know a bit..........
        Anyway after a lot of looking around ...Auto Trader, Exchange and Mart, this site and looking under a lot of bonnets and windsceens, I deceided to make the plunge. I'd come to the conclusion not to go to the British auctions or garages but to get somebody over here who new the system in Japan to get one for me ....... auctions, shipping, certification etc.. oh.. and the language.
        I eventually found one and asked the company who go to Japan (or so they say) to buy them at auction and have a local Japanese agent to organise shipping back to UK. I asked for a specific type of Surf with relevant spec colour , a price limit and a BIMTA certificate . They came up with a vehicle six weeks later. I cant ask for any more than that....This is all very embryonic for me but at this moment in time a 47000 mile surf (pictures were supplied) is somewhere in the Indian Ocean on its way to England . The company says I am under no obligation to buy it and to date I have not paid a deposit on the Surf although they asure me that its mine if I want it when it 'hits the beach' ..This all seems pretty simple to me and to date it has only cost me a couple of phone calls and three e mails. I cant go any further than this until it arrives and I have had a look at it in UK. If I dont like it I wont have it!!! but I couldnt ask for a better service....The point I think that has to be made here is that if it is that simple anyone with a bit of the old brain function along with internet nouse can do this..Perhaps we all need to get together pool resources and find out just exactly where, when and how we can pick up these Surfs with just a little bit of work.....Hows about it.
        If all goes well and i'm hoping it does i'll post the results in late January Feb.
        Meantime i'm off to buy a grease gun cos it will be the first time ive greased a car since my Mini Coopers top and bottom ball joints in 1972 ...Happy 2005...Rodders

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
          Hi and a "HAPPY NEW YEAR" l would defernatly say "YES" to importing your self
          l have been doing it for years now. The savings can be well worth it depending on how old a vehicle you bring in, l buy direct off firms in Japan and the only agent l use is a shipping agent. The only thing l will say is dont jump in feet first and buy the 1st thing you see shop around, l personally wont buy from the "Auctions" you have to make your mind up quickly so you cannot compare prices. Good luck if you decide to have ago.
          Happy New Year to you too Bob.

can you give me any pointers ? where to buy from, shipping agents etc. Specifically looking for a late 95 2nd gen. Maybe I could buy you a pint next time I'm in Walton ?

regards

phil

Comment

I was in the same mind, looked at the import companies, autotrader, etc

Eventually found one on Ebay!

Theres something to be said for letting another guy do the hard stuff and wait till he sells it on

I reckon I dropped lucky, but I paid 1 to 2 k less than imported first owners I've seen in garages and Import co's
            Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

I imported mine myself, back in the spring of last year (2004).

After extensive searching and reading on the internet... I followed the advice given at Far East Services.

I contacted their man in Japan, Gary, direct and gave him the spec that I wanted and a max price.

No need to worry about Shipping Agents... whichever carrier Gary uses (either Hual or Yuwa), they have their own agents at the port

I can recommend their Customs Clearance service also... everything sorted and the car ready for collection the same day the boat landed.

I got a nice clean 1994 3.0 Auto, 80k kms - on the road for just a little over £5k.

At the same time most dealers were asking £7.5k (+ Road Tax + Alarm/Immobiliser), for a comparable car.

Other things to consider -
              • A lot of dealers who "buy direct from Japan", actually buy their cars at the dockside auctions in this country.
              • It is not un-heard of for unscrupulous dealers to "clock" cars. (allegedly)

Cheers,
              Alan
              Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodders
                I'd come to the conclusion not to go to the British auctions or garages but to get somebody over here who new the system in Japan to get one for me ....... auctions, shipping, certification etc.. oh.. and the language.
                I eventually found one and asked the company who go to Japan (or so they say) to buy them at auction and have a local Japanese agent to organise shipping back to UK. Happy 2005...Rodders
                Rodders, after reading your post, you didn't mention which company you used? Maybe others could also look into this route... Pics would be great when it lands...

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X