No announcement yet.

Tyres, Suspension....confusion, dilema!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres, Suspension....confusion, dilema!

Right I've had a search around and can't find a definative answer so here goes....

The confusion...Am gonna need new tyres soon and am going to get BF Goodrich All Terrains. The current size on my truck are 265/70 R16. What I need to know is will 265/75 R16's fit or will they rub on standard suspension? Looking through previous posts on here, some say that they'll rub and that 31" is as large as you can go (265/75's being 31.6"). But Looking over on Yotatech.com most of the yanks say that they'll go on with no problems???

The Dilema...At some point I'm going to get a 2" suspension lift but the tyres are more of a priority. What I don't want to do is go and get standard tyres, then get a 2" lift and wish that I'd got bigger tyres now I've got the room? I'd rather get bigger tyres now if they'll fit and then go for the lift later when funds allow.
    http://www.maninhat.myzen.co.uk/

errr m not too sure mate but I got Bridgestone 31's they rub occasionally. Standard sus for me.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by miketilley
      Right I've had a search around and can't find a definative answer so here goes....

The confusion...Am gonna need new tyres soon and am going to get BF Goodrich All Terrains. The current size on my truck are 265/70 R16. What I need to know is will 265/75 R16's fit or will they rub on standard suspension? Looking through previous posts on here, some say that they'll rub and that 31" is as large as you can go (265/75's being 31.6"). But Looking over on Yotatech.com most of the yanks say that they'll go on with no problems???

The Dilema...At some point I'm going to get a 2" suspension lift but the tyres are more of a priority. What I don't want to do is go and get standard tyres, then get a 2" lift and wish that I'd got bigger tyres now I've got the room? I'd rather get bigger tyres now if they'll fit and then go for the lift later when funds allow.
      I got 265/75/16's BFG A/T's on standard rims on mine without any lift and they're fine. If you do extreme off roading, then they will rub.

Comment

I'm running 265/75/16's on my 3rd Gen no problems with standard suspension.

Although having said that I have heard a very slight rubbing if turning to full lock in reverse, as far as i can see it's from the bolt heads located on inner arch, it's only very very slight just makes you aware of it and definately nothing to bother with.

Comment

I have 265/75/16 on mine and the only time they rubbed on standard suspension was on full lock in reverse if you backed up a bit quick, i have now fitted la supertrux rear 2" lift springs (about £80 +p&p+vat) and just lifted the front a bit with the torsion bar adjustment, all is OK.BTW mine is a narow body, dont know if it makes a difference???
          If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
          I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Brilliant ...just what I wanted to hear. Thanks Guys

Comment

When i had those they rubbed on the front mudflap bolts, Causing damage to both Tyre & Mudflaps. HILUX bob has them on his Landbruiser now.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

the difference is only 13.25mm i nearly fitted them to my 3rd gen recently but opted for a full set of Yokohamas finest Geolander II, up till now they have been superb offering amazing grip on wet roads & superb off road, no road noise to speak of, i can strongly recommend these tyres, lifespan? ask me next year..............
                I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Comment

Of course the other option is to get some Colway retreads! At less than half the price of the BFG's I could then afford to do the tyres and lift at the same time.....Only thing is I'm not happy about using retreads, though I know many people swear by them...Hmmm?

Comment

...Update...

Yesterday I went and got some new tyres fittes. BFG All Terrains 265/75 R16 and they fit fine with no rubbing anywhere....though it is close in some places on the front.

Anyway, here's a piccie of my truck with it's new boots...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by miketilley
                      ...Update...

Yesterday I went and got some new tyres fittes. BFG All Terrains 265/75 R16 and they fit fine with no rubbing anywhere....though it is close in some places on the front.

Anyway, here's a piccie of my truck with it's new boots...
                      Nice truck Mike, but the tyres look better with the white lettering on the outside.......IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X