Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC help

Hi
    could someone tell me the name of the file which is used to store internet account settings,and where it is located on the C drive please?
    Powered by ????

Originally posted by RobD
    Hi
    could someone tell me the name of the file which is used to store internet account settings,and where it is located on the C drive please?
    Some information are held in .ins files. Normally something like install.ins may hold the information for your pop, news server configurations. Other than that there may be settings in your System Registry

Will check further
    Last edited by Gizmo; 19 December 2004, 12:09.
    Gaz

Comment

Yep. I'm using XP. This is from my registry entries.

**DO this at your risk as modifying the registry could be disastrous**

Go to Run from the Start Button
      Type in Regedit and press return
      Make sure that My Computer is highlighted in the left hand pane [Root]
      Select Find from Edit Menu
      Type in your address details [eg. joe.bloggs@bloggs.com] and click on Find Next
      Use the F3 key to continue searching through all your registry entries

Mine is located under
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Internet Account Manager/Accounts/
      Gaz

Comment

Cheers Gaz

a mate of mine has a pc which has been infected badly with spyware/adware and malware.He has run the latest version of adaware and mcafee antivirus but can't get rid of the following files,the full path to these 4 files are :-

C\-RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS419.CAB
        C\-RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS450.CAB
        C\-RESTORE\TEMP\A0286000.CPY
        C\-RESTORE\TEMP\A0286081.CPY

mcafee antivirus can't clean,quarantine or delete these files,what is the best way to get rid of these and most importantly is it safe to do so?The OS is Windows ME.Cheers
        Powered by ????

Comment

Cheers Gaz

a mate of mine has a pc which has been infected badly with spyware/adware and malware.He has run the latest version of adaware and mcafee antivirus but can't get rid of the following files,the full path to these 4 files are :-

mcafee antivirus can't clean,quarantine or delete these files,what is the best way to get rid of these and most importantly is it safe to do so?The OS is Windows ME.Cheers
          Been told I have to disable system restore then reboot b4 I can get rid of these files,how do I disable system restore?
          Powered by ????

Comment

Cheers Gaz

Hi Rob,
            http://www.spybot.info/en/spybotsd/index.html
            This might be useful, I use this plus McAfee and Zone Alarm. Recomended by my IT friend who kindly set up all my XP system, she is forces trained and now she's a technical analyst/consultant for a big software house, so knows her stuff.
            Her advice is that different packages rid of different 'stuff' and sometimes good to have a couple in use for cleaning on a regular basis.
            This link above (Spybot Search & Destroy) is 'kewl' as it is purely a donation site and is free. Read on in their homepages my friend and decide for yourself.
            As for Zone Alarm my personal report shows an astonishing amount of 'blocked intrusions' including 'high risk', however, if your having problems sending files via MSN Messenger for e.g. best to temporarily switch Zone Alarm off until your files have sent.
            I will ask her specifically on these files too, see if there's something else to consider and post you a.s.a.p.
            The Wifie - Jo.
            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 20 December 2004, 01:03.

Comment

I sometimes find that if you reboot the box in safe mode (f8 I think) you find more googly bits when you run Adaware. Make sure you have the latest definition files as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Hi Rob,
                http://www.spybot.info/en/spybotsd/index.html
                This might be useful, I use this plus McAfee and Zone Alarm. Recomended by my IT friend who kindly set up all my XP system, she is forces trained and now she's a technical analyst/consultant for a big software house, so knows her stuff.
                Her advice is that different packages rid of different 'stuff' and sometimes good to have a couple in use for cleaning on a regular basis.
                This link above (Spybot Search & Destroy) is 'kewl' as it is purely a donation site and is free. Read on in their homepages my friend and decide for yourself.
                As for Zone Alarm my personal report shows an astonishing amount of 'blocked intrusions' including 'high risk', however, if your having problems sending files via MSN Messenger for e.g. best to temporarily switch Zone Alarm off until your files have sent.
                I will ask her specifically on these files too, see if there's something else to consider and post you a.s.a.p.
                The Wifie - Jo.
                Further info as promised: "What you've recommended should do the trick. Could also try Hijackthis if
                it's still there. You can get it from loads of places, but here's one;
                http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/"

Comment

Been told I have to disable system restore then reboot b4 I can get rid of these files,how do I disable system restore?
                  Here you go Rob

I am running ME and I ended up with backed up viruses, not sure how the restore set up works on XP but on ME I reduced the size of the file so as more was backuped to it the virus eventually gets kicked out.

If in doubt Ask Jeeves

System Restore, a Windows XP feature, is similar to the "Last Known Good Configuration" in Windows NT and Windows 2000. You can use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, using the backups that it makes of selected system files and program files. Unlike the "Last Known Good Configuration" feature, System Restore maintains multiple restore points. This gives you the choice of restoring your computer to any number of previously saved states.

While this is a desirable feature, in some cases it should be temporarily turned off. For example, if the computer is infected with a virus, then it is possible that the virus could be backed up by System Restore. By default, Windows prevents System Restore from being modified by outside programs. As a result, there is the possibility that you could restore a virus-infected file, or that the on-line scanners would detect the virus in that location.

Disabling System Restore does not delete or remove any of your personal data from your computer. The only files removed are those that System Restore created, the restore points. Using System Restore to revert to a previously saved restore point does not affect any of your personal data files or any items in your My Documents folder. For more information search the Microsoft Windows Help (Click Start > Help and Support) and search for "System Restore Overview" and "Understanding System Restore." These documents explain what System Restore is, how it works, and more information about the effects of turning it on or off.

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer
                  Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
                  Click the System Restore tab.
                  Check the "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box as shown in this illustration:

As for the software running Spyblaster, Spybot. AVG antivirus which is another shareware free to download and free signiture updates. As for the firewall don't get much better than Zonelabs as mentioned another freebie.

Steve
                  Last edited by Esamed; 20 December 2004, 19:53.
                  Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

On antoher note, using XP Home if you install some adaware software or the like sometimes you will find that the PC will automatically log you out when you log into the system.

Cant remember where it is but search on the web for the advice, you will find that the userinit.exe string has been changed and hence stops login process...not encountered this on XP Pro as yet.
                    Gaz

Comment

Thanks for yor help everyone,I'm hoping by disabling system restore his antivirus prog(mcafee) will be allowed to either clean,quarantine or delete these files,if this doesn't work I will have to re format drive C and re install windows.