Non Surf techy question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Surf techy question.

Tonight my other (ahem) 4x4 decided to die. Loads of petrol to the fuel pump and smell off flooding around the carb, so plenty of juice. Checked ignition and no spark.
    I read the manual (in the dark). Checked for continuity between the neg post on the battery and the neg terminal on the coil. There was no continuity, so i ran a wire to the negative terminal. Looking at the drawing, in the light, I now know I have boobed. Will I have knackered the coil if it wasn't already shot?
    Any idea why I could have lost my HT aprt from the coil packing up?

PS. I am reading 12V between ground and the +ve post of the coil. I get a capacitance reading on the condenser.
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 30 November 2004, 00:31.
    It's only a hobby!

You wont damage the coil by running a wire to - post on batt from the - on coil as thats all the points do anyway , but just act as a switch .It will only do damage if left on for a while . Generally the wire will get hot on th + side of coil and melt .

Have you done a resistance check from HT on coil tower to + on coil and then - on coil . If in dought fit a 12v coil and ditch the 9v coil and cold start ballast resister .
    Fit a Lucas 'sport' coil and open plug gaps to 30 thou . Leave points gap as standard . Better spark but more strain on elastic band .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

thanks for that. i'll do some resistace checks and go to the scrappy.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Looks like the ignition coil is shot. I am reading the same resistance from the HT Lead terminal to the +ve post and the -ve post. I am also reading 13V on both posts with the ignition switched on. It is a 12V coil.
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

wouldn't waste your time getting a coil from the scrappy!.... get a new one and save time in the long run.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            wouldn't waste your time getting a coil from the scrappy!.... get a new one and save time in the long run.

I think i paid about £10 for a coil
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
            X