Max towing limit ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max towing limit ???

Had a look thru other threads and as yet have yet to find the answer.
    Does anyones hand book state what either the max towing limit or max train weight is for the Surf. Looked on the Aussie site and it states 1.5t. This seems a bit light to me as I tow an Ivor Williams HB510 1000kg + 16.3 horse, I reckon this exceeds 1.5t. Missus wants to take two horses in it this weekend and this will go over the 100% recomendation.

There can't be many cars heavier than the Surf so what would you tow one if these with if you put two horses in it?

Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

The SURF weighs around 2TON fuelled to the top. you can tow 100% of the towing vehicles weight. Although 85% is stated in some mags etc But if you are experienced at Towing you are allowed to tow 100% 2TONNES. Other rules do apply as it needs to be a braked trailer.

Maximum sizes for towing
    Towing vehicle under 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
    7.0 metres

Maximum width
    2.3 metres

Towing vehicle over 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar)
    12 metres if at least 4 wheels

Maximum width
    2.55 metres

Length of towing vehicle & trailer combined
    18 metres

Maximum overhang of load from rear of trailer
    3.05 metres

Further information from: National Trailer and Towing Association (NTTA)
    www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/

Maximum trailer sizes
    Type 01: unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.
    Type 02: trailers on overrun brakes - max. 3500kg gross trailer weight.
    1982 regulations require that all trailers, including unbraked ones, must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kg. This may be checked at any time by the police at a weighbridge. Since 1 January 1997, all unbraked trailer plates must show the year of manufacture.

Safe weight ratios
    For stable and safe towing we would always recommend that you choose the smallest and lightest possible caravan suitable for your intended use. The less the laden weight of the caravan is in relation to the weight of the towing vehicle, the safer and more stable the outfit will be. The Caravan Club, for example, advises that you should aim for a towed load that is no more than 85% of the car's kerb weight for stability and safety. The CC advice is NEVER to tow above 100% of the car's kerbside weight.N.B. The car manufacturer's specified maximum permissible towload is always the absolute towing limit regardless of any 85% or 100% weight ratio guideline. This is especially important in those cases where the manufacturer's figure is particularly low - in a few cases even below 85%.

Load distribution
    Proper load distribution, in general, must be ensured too, with all heavy items in the caravan low down and directly over the axle wherever possible. Correct tyre pressures for car and caravan are absolutely vital.

Noseweight
    It is a legal requirement that the noseweight should be 4% of the weight of the trailer or at least 25kg, whichever is the higher.. For safety you should aim for, but not exceed, the lower of the 2 figures specified for caravan and car respectively.

Passengers
    It is illegal to carry passengers inside a caravan whilst on the road. It is permitted for pets to travel in the caravan, although this is not recommended safe practice.

Driving Licences
    A full (not provisional) driving licence is required to tow a caravan. From 1 January 1997, new category B (generally held as 'normal' car entitlement) vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Authorised Mass allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25 tonnes MAM OR a trailer (for example a tourer) over 750kg MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. This would mean that many drivers who possess only a category B on their licence would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heavier than their car, and that car and caravan combined, does not weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.
    New drivers of outfits over these limits must take a category B + E test.
    Further information from: Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)
    www.dvla.gov.uk

Speed
    Towed outfits may travel at up to 50 mph on single carriageway roads and up to 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways. Towed outfits are not permitted in the outside lane of a three or more lane motorway unless other lanes are closed.

Brakes
    A caravan with a maximum design laden weight of more than 750kg must be braked with an intertia (overrun) type braking system up to a maximum permissible laden weight of 3500kg.

Road lights
    Caravans must have flashing indicators fitted at the back. A buzzer or other means of alerting the driver must be installed to highlight the failure of any of these indicators.
    Caravans must have two rear lights conforming to certain size requirements and bearing the appropriate CE mark. Marker lights must be fitted 'as high as practicable' on the side or at the front and rear of caravans over 2.1m wide
    Last edited by marky; 29 November 2004, 23:10.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

My caravan is a twin axle ABBEY SPECTRUM which when loaded comes in at around 1500kgs.
      As there is no info on the 2.4 surf check out weights on the 4runner.
      The car manufacturer's specified maximum permissible towload is always the absolute towing limit regardless of any 85% or 100% weight ratio guideline. This is especially important in those cases where the manufacturer's figure is particularly low - in a few cases even below 85%.
      (\__/)
      (")_(")

Comment

Hi Marky

Been on the NTTA site as well.

N.B. The car manufacturer's specified maximum permissible towload is always the absolute towing limit regardless of any 85% or 100% weight ratio guideline. This is especially important in those cases where the manufacturer's figure is particularly low - in a few cases even below 85%.

got a booklet with trailer and this also states that to exceed manufacturers limits may lead to prosecution.

So whilst I am quite happy towing 2000kg or less would dearly love a definitive Toyota says a Surf can tow a max of... or train weight of....

Mind you why I am worrying is beyond me cause unless i am speeding the chances of being stopped are slim.

Steve

Comment

If in Doubt go to a ministry of Transport inspectorate station. The best ones to try are the HGV test station...

Bear in mind there is no excuse for being over weight its still £1000 a ton over weight whether it is axle or gross weight.

Also if the outfit exceeds 3.5t technically you will need to have a Tacho fitted and a chart installed
          Last edited by mark g8awo; 29 November 2004, 23:27.
          Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Just be careful going up hills, let the surf go by itself dont floor it. ECT on will let the gearbox do a better job on hills when towing. Also keep an eye on the temp to see how it goes
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Esamed
              Had a look thru other threads and as yet have yet to find the answer.
              Does anyones hand book state what either the max towing limit or max train weight is for the Surf. Looked on the Aussie site and it states 1.5t. This seems a bit light to me as I tow an Ivor Williams HB510 1000kg + 16.3 horse, I reckon this exceeds 1.5t. Missus wants to take two horses in it this weekend and this will go over the 100% recomendation.

There can't be many cars heavier than the Surf so what would you tow one if these with if you put two horses in it?

Steve
              I don't no what the limit is but i,m nearly always towing over 2 tonne on the back as my car trailer alone comes in at just over a tonne and then you have the weight of the motor on the the back which are often a tonne upwards even pulled another hilux pick up on it and haven;t, been tugged once either with it.It also helps if you uprate the rear so the arse don't drag on the floor as well other wise you will look over weight and have a good chance at getting tugged.

Comment

A friend of mine tows the same trailer with 2 16.3 horses with a Rav 4, with no probs, so you should be ok. I hope so cos I got my surf mainly to drag a couple of horses around the shows!

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
                  A friend of mine tows the same trailer with 2 16.3 horses with a Rav 4, with no probs, so you should be ok. I hope so cos I got my surf mainly to drag a couple of horses around the shows!
                  Should be fine..I've had an IFOR 550 with a Cob and an Arab in the trailer no probs.
                  Gaz

Comment

Chaps

The issue isn't whether it can, cos it does and some but what about the legality?. As for the Rav whats it weigh 1800kgs max? trailer HB510 1000kg plus horses got to be close on 100% +. Its not the pulling, you do have to stop sometimes!!!!

I used to pull same with 2.0 Mondeo now that was a bit iffy trailer did try to go faster than car. So thought best by some thing bigger hence a Surf.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X