jap import radio frequencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jap import radio frequencies

Hi all, well I've only had my Surf for, let me see, 16 hours, but with most insurance companies closed since i got it i still can't drive it

Many thanks for the information I've taken already from here lurking in my pre-surf days I've now only got the trifling matter of the car stereo to work out.

I've got two questions about it i hope someone has experience of - the first is the frequencies of the radio which only lets me have radio 2 on FM
    Does anyone know if the frequency range can be changed?

My other question - the stereo is a double height thing which i would change with a normal one if i have to. The current one is actually built into the dash behind a panel and I'm wondering if there is anything available to fill the gap that a normal one would leave. Apart from the radio range I'm also worried because it has no removable face and as I'm in and out of London a fair bit i don't want to find I've lost a window, chunks of dashboard and the stereo to some work shy pizza face. It might be cheaper to replace the stereo now rather than later....

Any ideas anyone??

Many thanks
    Neil
    PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

You can get a radio frequency expander. The common consensus is that you should chuck the radio and get a UK spec one. The performance of the frequency expander depends on the tuning steps of the radio. UK radio station channels are in evens 95.8, 97.6, 103.8 etc. In Japan they tune in odd steps. To get round building different spec tuners a lot of radio manufactuerers make their radios tune in odds and evens ie. 88.1, 88.2, 88.3 etc If you have one that does this it may be worth trying an expander as they are available between £10 & £15.

Try a search on the double DIN radio adaptors. It has been well covered on the forum, as has removing the dash.

Welcome to the madhouse
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for that. i found some posts on the subject now and think i will chuck the jap one. It spat out the cd's i tried in it as well but thought i could work out why it did that (it had had a changer removed) but it seems that's a bigger problem... I'd have gotten over the novelty of it talking japanese to me soon enough as well. Just hope i can get something usefull to slot into the space beneath it.... another ashtray perhaps

cheers
      Neil
      PM ME IF YOU'RE SELLING A 2ND GEN 3.0TD...

Comment

I'm not sure whether music CDs are regionalised like DVDs. Aparantly Halfrauds do a double DIN adaptor and that gives you a little cubby hole underneath to stash your sun glasses/fags etc
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by NeilT
          Hi all, well I've only had my Surf for, let me see, 16 hours, but with most insurance companies closed since i got it i still can't drive it

Many thanks for the information I've taken already from here lurking in my pre-surf days I've now only got the trifling matter of the car stereo to work out.

I've got two questions about it i hope someone has experience of - the first is the frequencies of the radio which only lets me have radio 2 on FM
          Does anyone know if the frequency range can be changed?

My other question - the stereo is a double height thing which i would change with a normal one if i have to. The current one is actually built into the dash behind a panel and I'm wondering if there is anything available to fill the gap that a normal one would leave. Apart from the radio range I'm also worried because it has no removable face and as I'm in and out of London a fair bit i don't want to find I've lost a window, chunks of dashboard and the stereo to some work shy pizza face. It might be cheaper to replace the stereo now rather than later....

Any ideas anyone??

Many thanks
          Neil
          I have a spare FM frequency changer you can have for a fiver. Or a UK spec radiocassete for £30 which you can plug into the CD player bit.

Easy to swap the whoile lot out for a single DIN if you want - use a blanking plate or pocket to fill the gap - available from you local Halfrauds.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

[QUOTE=kitesurf_phil][color=#ffff99] The performance of the frequency expander depends on the tuning steps of the radio. UK radio station channels are in evens 95.8, 97.6, 103.8 etc.
            QUOTE]

Not true UK radio also uses odd as in 96.3 Airefm broadcast in Leeds.

Comment

[QUOTE=Leodis]
              Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              [color=#ffff99] The performance of the frequency expander depends on the tuning steps of the radio. UK radio station channels are in evens 95.8, 97.6, 103.8 etc.
              QUOTE]

Not true UK radio also uses odd as in 96.3 Airefm broadcast in Leeds.
              I was not including pirates.
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

I was not including pirates.
                what about R1 around my way on 99.1 or 2-TEN FM on 102.9

.... mine goes up in all numbers!
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

OKaaaaaaaaaaayyyy. I stand corrected. Things have obviously changed.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

OKaaaaaaaaaaayyyy. I stand corrected. Things have obviously changed.
                    hehehe!!... ska music you say?... bit partial to that myself... try listening to sublime or long beach dub allstars.... bit more puky, but v good!

Comment

commenting on the original post its strange how the surfs seem to arrive with duff stereo gear. Mine came with a double head unit, was pleased to find a minidisk slot but the stereo crashes whenever you slot a minidisk in.

Theres also a CD slot but that has now eaten David Gray and wont give it back... looks like I'll have to find a tin opener

mike

Comment

Originally posted by Steadi
                        commenting on the original post its strange how the surfs seem to arrive with duff stereo gear. Mine came with a double head unit, was pleased to find a minidisk slot but the stereo crashes whenever you slot a minidisk in.

Theres also a CD slot but that has now eaten David Gray and wont give it back... looks like I'll have to find a tin opener

mike
                        maybe it's a fussy one!

Comment

Working...
                        X