balancing????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• balancing????

I have fitted my new wheels which are TRW split rims and look lurvely but 4 wheel and tyre shops have told me they cant put them on their machines to balance them but one of them did mention a powder that you can put into the tyres that balances them as you drive, has anyone heard of this and does it work, or is it just another gimmick to get you to part with hard earned????
    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

I just had my front tyres rebalanced yesterday by my local ATS outfit. No problems at all for them to do it. Haven't run it at speed yet, so don't know it it's fixed the wobble I was betting above 50mph yet.

As for the powder, I've not heard of that as such but I did find an American web site (which I can't for the life of me remember) that was extoling the virtues of an automatic balancing device for trucks/SUVs. It was basically a disc that you fit behind the wheel. The disc contained a fluid and some beads that automatically redistributed themselves as you drove and eliminated any misbalancing. The reports and testimonals where quite good, and apparently it also greatly increased tyre lifespan.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

The powder does exist, its called 'equal' but not seen it this side of the pond.

You don't need it on tyres up to 33", they should balence OK. Its only bigger tyres that are hard to balence. Iv'e always had my 35" M/T's balenced, only the Boggers defeated the guys, only cos they ran out of space to stick weights to!

I know people who have put golf balls in tyres, and say it works.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi there.
        They use a powder on larger tyres,I have them done on the front
        tyres of the truck I drive as you would never get them on a
        ballance machine.
        GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Originally posted by Smurf
          I have fitted my new wheels which are TRW split rims and look lurvely but 4 wheel and tyre shops have told me they cant put them on their machines to balance them but one of them did mention a powder that you can put into the tyres that balances them as you drive, has anyone heard of this and does it work, or is it just another gimmick to get you to part with hard earned????
          After 2 failed attempts by the outfit that fitted my new tyres, I found a place locally to balance them using a hub which they fit to the balancing machine. (think they call it 'hub centric' but dont quote me on it)
          Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
            After 2 failed attempts by the outfit that fitted my new tyres, I found a place locally to balance them using a hub which they fit to the balancing machine. (think they call it 'hub centric' but dont quote me on it)
            Pete
            That sounds about right. My brother had some special parts turned on a lathe for his balancing machine so he can balance just about any road legal tyre combination.('Cept HGVs).
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Toyota factory wheels are machined from the wheel studs, not the hub. Most tyre places clamp the wheel though the hub hole, and often its not true enough to balence the wheel properly.

But as usual, if you mention this in most tyre places you get looked at gormlessly.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                But as usual, if you mention this in most tyre places you get looked at gormlessly.

I know the look.
                Having said that, after the gormless look, and a second visit, ATS have got the fronts absolutely perfect by balancing them on the studs.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, looks like i may have to visit a few more tyre places to get it sorted, apparently the rim edge of my wheels are not good for clamping weights to and not many places like using stick on balancing weights, will persevere and get it sorted.
                  If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
                  I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X