Scam or Not???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam or Not???

This was taken from another forum, but worth highlighting over the xmas period.

I've just received this and it may make interesting reading!

Just been warned about this, and could potentially be financially fatal so close to Christmas.

Please pass on to all people on your mailing list. I got this from a contact in the Halifax Visa team so it is happening!!

Visa and MasterCard Scam.
    A friend was called on the telephone this week from 'VISA' and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

It worked like this: Person calling says, 'this is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase a device / any expensive item, for £497.99 from a marketing company based in (any town?).

When you say 'No'. The caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your Account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 To £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (they give you your address), is that correct?'

You say, 'Yes'. The caller continues . 'I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control number. They then give you a 6-digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?

Caller then says he 'needs to verify you are in possession of your card' (this is where the scam takes place as up until now they have requested nothing!). They then ask you to turn your card over.

There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234 (or whatever, as they have your number anyway).

The next 3 are the security numbers that verify that you are in possession of the card' (these are the numbers they are really after as these are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card).

'Read me the 3 numbers.' When you do he says 'That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?

Don't hesitate to call back if you do.'

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we telephoned back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card. Long story made short.

We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scam wants is the 3-digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep changing every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.

THE REAL VISA/MASTERCARD DEPARTMENT REINFORCED THE POINT THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ABOUT THE CARD SINCE THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!!.

What makes this even more remarkable is that on Thursday a friend of mine got a call from 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word for word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers
    so please pass this on to your friends................"

Also had this one by email, don't know if it's genuine or just one of those "send to everyone and slow down the internet" sort of things that appears now and again. Would have thought if it was a genuine security risk online credit card suppliers like EGG would have put an email alert out by now, still, pays to be cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzo23
      Also had this one by email, don't know if it's genuine or just one of those "send to everyone and slow down the internet" sort of things that appears now and again. Would have thought if it was a genuine security risk online credit card suppliers like EGG would have put an email alert out by now, still, pays to be cautious.
      LLoyds etc etc e-mail out cautions when you log on.

NOTE: emails from the companies will use your full name not Dear Customer etc etc...
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

It's all true.

I work for one of the larger banks (not saying which in case we've recently stitched you up or upset you in some way) and I can confirm that this is a genuine scam (is that an oxymoron?).

Basically your bank will never ask you to tell them anything, the most they will ever ask you is to confirm information so be wary of anyone who phones you and then asks to 'take you through security' because they will only ever do this if you call them.

Trouble is that if someone sounds the part, seems to know most of the information already and you don't work for a bank it all seems very plausible.

Comment

you gotta be a dumb ass to give out your number!.... no matter how many times the bank tells people, they still do it!....

most you should be asked is the usual security questions like, D.O,B, address, mothers maiden name, third number of security code
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

you should only answer the security questions if you ring the bank up. i had a bank ask me to confirm who i was when they rang me and i said you tell me what you think it is and i will tell you if you are right. not the other way round.cause then a scamer has more info on you
            so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Working...
            X