Hole question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole question

Not what you think, sorry! Had a rather large nail stuck in my front tyre so was leaking air slowly. Brought it to the tyre place and he pulled it out and shoved some rubber stuff like a piece of liquorice into the hole. "€5 please".
    My question is, Is this a proper fix or a temp. one. Has anyone else had this done. Just wondering if its gonna pop out when i'm driving some day.
    Cheers
    Del
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

This is a permanent fix mate i had one done last week by my brother in law.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
      Not what you think, sorry! Had a rather large nail stuck in my front tyre so was leaking air slowly. Brought it to the tyre place and he pulled it out and shoved some rubber stuff like a piece of liquorice into the hole. "€5 please".
      My question is, Is this a proper fix or a temp. one. Has anyone else had this done. Just wondering if its gonna pop out when i'm driving some day.
      Cheers
      Del
      The official method of repairing such a hole on a tubeless tyre is to dismount the tyre and fit a plug from the inside, this plug is kinda mushroom shaped with the head fitted to the inside of the tyre casing.

Having said that, I've never actually seen this method done "in the flesh", I've only ever seen and used the method you describe, never had a problem with it either. So no need to worry, you can consider it a permenant repair.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers guys, i can leave my spare undies at home now!
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          The official method of repairing such a hole on a tubeless tyre is to dismount the tyre and fit a plug from the inside, this plug is kinda mushroom shaped with the head fitted to the inside of the tyre casing.

Having said that, I've never actually seen this method done "in the flesh", I've only ever seen and used the method you describe, never had a problem with it either. So no need to worry, you can consider it a permenant repair.
          This method of repair was actually made illegal several years ago (or so we were informed at the garage I worked at). You are now supposed to use a patch plus an innertube that said we still used the mushroom method never got anyone back complaining.

Comment

Don't forget the wheel will need re-balancing !!!!

Andy

Comment

Why rebalance? The position of the tyre hasnt changed in relation to the rim and i doubt a tiny piece of rubber will make a big difference to the balance. I'll see on the way home.
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

I've done loads of these repairs, when helping up out at my brothers workshop and it is a much better repair than a patch. The tyre is removed from the rim, the hole is cleaned by drilling through the hole. The golf tee shaped plug is pushed through from the inside, sealant applied and the excess trimmed of the outside.

At my brothers workshop wheel balancing is checked every time a tyre is taken off the rim. If you think about it, the tyre will never go back on the rim in exactly the same position.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

As long as the tyre never deflated more than say 70% I reckon you're ok. I had a repair like this done when I had my old Surf.

The only difference I can see is that mine got to be 100% deflated before the fix was done. It was pancaked when I got to it one morning, so I has the repair. All fixed & a run to Leeds later and the tyre blew out on the return journey on the M60.

I don't want to discredit these fixes or worry anyone/put anyone off. I just thought it might be worthwhile mentioning - as I think the blowout was actually as a result of having the Surfs weight bearing down on a completely flat tyre overnight (& weakening the side of it).

In short - I'd say that fixes are sound provided the tyre hasn't been completely empty at any point (I know this would always be a factor for me in the future if I need another fix).

HTH
                  NorthWestDirt
                  [aka Paul]

Comment

Some places won't do this closer than 1 or 2 cms from the edge, however there are also specific plugs made for repairs close to the edge, had this done once and cost me £10 instead of £220 for a new tyre. Also had a tyre repaired on my Surf when I first got it, virtually new tyre and it stayed healthy for 18 months untill I got the BFGs.

Cheers

Comment

Its the done thing here Delboy, all the time, never heard of it fail either, its so quick too its great. they do it with the wheel on often. readjust your camber setting though

Comment

Working...
                      X