yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice required on the best way to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice required on the best way to start.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to 4x4s, so new in fact that I've not bought one yet. But having fallen for the charms of the Hilux Surf after seeing a friend's, I've decided to buy one in the middle of next year. Best bit is that my wife loves the idea!

I want to get an early-ish 2.4TD auto a) for fuel economy and b) because I have to drive auto after a rugby injury.

All I really want to know is whether there are any particular models or years that I should avoid? Are there reasons why getting a 93 or later is much better than a 91 or 02 for example.

Help me, I'm completely clueless.

If you have a look round the forum, you will see that some early 2.4s tend have head problems (a general conclusion i known but a fairly common problem) also again on the forum you will see that the difference between the 2.4 and 3.0 diesel in terms of fuel economy is not much, however the performance difference is, so maybe worth spending an extra 500 quid and get a 3.0.
    I know i will be annoying lots of 2.4 owners who have had no problems (my dad has one in kenya that never had any problems ever) but thats just my opion.
    good luck

Comment

Hi and welcome to surfizum you are knocking on the door to the land of the permanent SMILE.

Firstly can I say that if your pocket will strech to it go for a 3.0ltr if only for the grunt factor (befor I upset the 2.4 boys those of you that know me know what I got).

When you find one you want try and see it from cold have a good look round the engin for leaks or streaks,crawl underneath and check the grease points on the propshaft and front ball joints and steering bump stops (this should give you a good idea as to wether or not it has been looked after (the ball joint nipples are hard to find so if you dont know where to look you wont find them,the easiest way is to put it on full lock and look between the inside of the wheel and the balljoint housing bow there should either be a nipple or a blanking bolt,)squease the ball joint rubber gater to seeif it feels full of grease.
      start the surf up check for excessive black smoke from the exhaugst,you will get some but not lots,move the gear selecter about and listern for horrid noises.when you go for a test drive check to make sure the 4wd works and 4wd light works.(to test the 4wd park on gravel engage 4wd and floor it to spin the wheels) listern for nasty noises comming from anywhere especialy the g/box-t/box.when the engin is hot check for leaks also crawl back underneath and check for g/box -t/bot and axel leaks.
      I'm sure someone else will add more but theres a start
      When you find the one for you you will know cos your heart will say THATS THE ONE BUY IT

Happy hunting.
      If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cueball
        Hi everyone,

I'm new to 4x4s, so new in fact that I've not bought one yet. But having fallen for the charms of the Hilux Surf after seeing a friend's, I've decided to buy one in the middle of next year. Best bit is that my wife loves the idea!

I want to get an early-ish 2.4TD auto a) for fuel economy and b) because I have to drive auto after a rugby injury.

All I really want to know is whether there are any particular models or years that I should avoid? Are there reasons why getting a 93 or later is much better than a 91 or 02 for example.

Help me, I'm completely clueless.
        Not an upset 2.4 owner.

Go for the 3ltr if its economy your after you won't find it here, from what I have seen on here there seems to be no difference in mpg between them most probably due to the 3ltrs extra bhp being more suited to hauling along 2.1tons.

look around theres plenty to choose from dare I say it nearly as common as a paj now well in East Sussex any way. I pass 3 just exciting the IND EST where I work.

Good Luck

Steve
        Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Working...
        X