Whats a good budget road tyre for Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats a good budget road tyre for Surf

Now I have done the drop links, sorted the steering idler and hopefully fixed the battery problem.
    I am now looking to sort the back tyres. In the wet it has started to drift on roundabouts a couple of times, I haven't been heavy footed and it wasn't intentional. Always from a standing start. And so far I have bought it back under control before it became a problem (the first time it happened, I pulled over in a layby and was checking the tyres when someone in a Nissan x trail pulled up and did the same)

Although the back tyres are completly legal, they are well worn (probably not the best quality). I want to get some better tyres to prevent this from happening as although I can control/prevent a slight drift I'm not sure my wife can.

What tyres would you recommend ?

Do you drive with an empty boot?
    If so, then yes, it sounds like you'll need some better tyres. Failing that, fill the boot with junk and you'll be amazed at how little wheel slippage you can achieve.
    Sounds like you need a road biased tyre or decent AT. I have muds so cannot comment with any experience.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I am not sure about uk pricing, so the tyres I would recommend might not be "budget" as such...however: my current surf came with General Grabber AW and I find them excellent on we tarmac,much better than other tyres I've had on similar sized trucks. I also found Bridgestone Dueler (but I don't remember the exact type) very safe and predictable on wet roads in the past.
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
        Do you drive with an empty boot?
        If so, then yes, it sounds like you'll need some better tyres. Failing that, fill the boot with junk and you'll be amazed at how little wheel slippage you can achieve.
        Sounds like you need a road biased tyre or decent AT. I have muds so cannot comment with any experience.
        Have a couple of basic tools, spare wheel on the holder and a couple of suitcases with clothes, so In terms of surf I suppose it was empty.

Comment

I've just replaced a set of GT Radial Savero HT Plus which were fairly good on the road until they got down a bit. I got about 24,000 out of them which I was quite happy with, still were MOT legal when I changed. Think they are rated E for consumption, E for wet grip and were fairly quiet. No punctures or issues with them and I think they were a better gripping tyre than the Dunlop Grand Treks that were on the truck when I got it, particularly on wet roads.

I got my Saveros from Blackcircles.com and had them fitted through one of their local centres. 4 was either £291 or £297 fully fitted. Black circles no longer have them but other internet companies do.

I've just put a set of Grabber AT's on, these seem fairly good so far but I've not pushed the truck at all since having them fitted. Noisy by comparison which is to be expected.

Not sure how long you have had your truck for? I got the back end out a number of times when pulling out of junctions and on tighter roundabouts when I first got it. Just got to be smooth with it and drive it like a torquey RWD truck with a relatively light back end or, stick it in Hi 4 when driving in wet or slippery conditions.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

i have cooper discovery at's 80 notes a corner fitted, good in all conditions (except sheer ice when coming round a corner on a hill)

Comment

Tyres

Hi,

I have 2 sets of tyres - bridgstone 265/70 r16 All Terrains are really good and predictable.

I also have some hard terrain Enduro Runway H/T's which I think I get slightly better mileage fromon the tarmac but handlings definitely been affected, and not in a good way, you really feel the bumps as they're a lot harder compound than the A/T's.

I met a local guy who tried the Enduro A/T's and seemed happy with them but can't speak from experience.

Comment

goodyear wrangler at/s 205 80 16 (85 euro's online in germany)

pete

Comment

I've been impressed with my General Grabber UHP tyres. They're fine on the road and have been great in the snow. BFG A/T tyres are supposed to be a really good tyre, too, even on tarmac. They sound like a good all-rounder. if you're not going off road, get a tyre that designed more for the road. Whatever you get, though, get the best you can afford. They're what keeps you stuck to the road.

Comment

limited offer

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/index.ph...d=558&vid=1941

Comment

Got a set of enduro runway A/t's

31x10.5xr15's

Had a set of the H/T's before and they were Ok will see how I get on with these

Comment

Originally posted by Shadyadie View Post
                        Got a set of enduro runway A/t's

31x10.5xr15's

Had a set of the H/T's before and they were Ok will see how I get on with these
                        I've seen them on a couple of Surfs locally - certainly look like they're a good design. Let us know when you get them on a green lane/off road somewhere.

Dave

Comment

will do

Comment

I've got the Enduro Runways on my Gen 3 -hard as hell compared to other tyres I've has on other 4x4's

I found Falken Landair AT's good on my old LR on/off road - as with some of the Cooper tyres

T

Comment

Working...
                            X