Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off road tyres

thinking of starting off roading/green laning

is there a rule of thumb regarding tyres as i have dunlop grantreks which seem to be road tyres rather than off road - could the necessary guru please advise.

cheers
    NO MORE TRUCK

Originally posted by thumper
    thinking of starting off roading/green laning

is there a rule of thumb regarding tyres as i have dunlop grantreks which seem to be road tyres rather than off road - could the necessary guru please advise.

cheers

If you look on the forum, there are plenty of discussions on tyres...however, there are 3 types of tyres,

Road Tyres...baically 80% Road 20% off-road
    All Terrain - 50% Road 50% Off-road
    Mud Terain - 20% Road - 80% Off-Road

If you are doing alot of Road Driving and want to go off-road (not extreme) then AT are the best ones. MTs have extra spaces between each tread pattern so that the mud will clear sooner and can become noisy on-road.

This is why I went for AT's...I went for 31/10.5/15 All Terrain Tyres (Colway Remoulds), cheap enough to damage...and the prices have come down for a set of 4 recently. (www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com) just to give you an example of pricing for wheels and tyres
    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
      If you look on the forum, there are plenty of discussions on tyres...however, there are 3 types of tyres,

Road Tyres...baically 80% Road 20% off-road
      All Terrain - 50% Road 50% Off-road
      Mud Terain - 20% Road - 80% Off-Road

If you are doing alot of Road Driving and want to go off-road (not extreme) then AT are the best ones. MTs have extra spaces between each tread pattern so that the mud will clear sooner and can become noisy on-road.

This is why I went for AT's...I went for 31/10.5/15 All Terrain Tyres (Colway Remoulds), cheap enough to damage...and the prices have come down for a set of 4 recently. (www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com) just to give you an example of pricing for wheels and tyres
      There is also a section on the forum with reviews of various tyres.

The Dunlop Grandtrek is normally an 80% road tyre (an M&S tyre) although there is a Grandtrek AT21 and an MT. There are a number of good AT tyres around such as BFG, Kumho, Goodyear and the Dunlop.

Or you could get a set of Steel wheels and Colway remoulds from 4x4 accessories and tyres for less than a set of new road tyres. Then you have a set for off roading and a set for good road performance - that's if you have somewhere to store them.

Cheers

Comment

tyres

ok so thats sorted - just noticed something odd

i am running 275/70 r16 - on steels yet my spare is

265/70 r15 - so not much good as a spare then.

spoke to dealer who said

'when they come from jpn they sometimes change all 4 wheels and tyres' - he then went on to say it was because of the speedo change - anybody heard that one before?
        NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

ok so thats sorted - just noticed something odd

i am running 275/70 r16 - on steels yet my spare is

265/70 r15 - so not much good as a spare then.

spoke to dealer who said

'when they come from jpn they sometimes change all 4 wheels and tyres' - he then went on to say it was because of the speedo change - anybody heard that one before?
          Never heard that one before - probably he just wanted the original alloy wheels for it and put them on another truck, he probably had a spare set of steels off a 3rd gen. Standard for the 2nd gen was 15 inch wheels.

The spare will be OK for a space saver, you probably won't notice it much if it isn't on the front. If you have a puncture on the front then you should swap a good one from the rear onto the front and put the space saver on the rear - it's a pain but really you should do it on any car that has a space saver spare.

Cheers

Comment

Andy, you say the grandtrek is M&S. Does that not stand for Mud & Snow. Just wondering, cause i have it satmped on the side of my Muddies.
            Del
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

tires aye

well im running hankook mt which are the mud tyre they give little road noise and are great in the ruff stuff good for climbing rocks loose gravel and sand.not been stuck with them yet"YET"...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
                Andy, you say the grandtrek is M&S. Does that not stand for Mud & Snow. Just wondering, cause i have it satmped on the side of my Muddies.
                Del
                Yep you are right, however Mud and Snow doesn't mean it is an offroad tyre. My Bridgestone Dueller HTs were M&S but they were are very much road based tyre.

Cheers

Comment

oh, Ok! :/
                  Derek :
                  1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
                  [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

tyres

ta 4 all the help

incidentally - has anyone used 'bronco - grizzly claws'

they are remoulds i think - but look good for a spare set for off-roading
                    and not to pricey?

any thoughts
                    NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

ta 4 all the help

incidentally - has anyone used 'bronco - grizzly claws'

they are remoulds i think - but look good for a spare set for off-roading
                      and not to pricey?

any thoughts
                      They are supposed to be the Muts Nuts as long as you don't use them for on road. One of the Staff cars in 4x4 Magazine (A Jeep Cherokee) had them on. They were noisy on road but the biggest problem is that one of the lugs broke off the tyre when used on road. They are a very agressive tread pattern which is probably what caused it as it got too much heat on road.

Cheers

Comment

the muts nuts

excellent - worth a look then as a spare set.

i am quite keen to go off-roading, appart from a good set of tyres, is there anything else worth getting done to the truck or a bit of kit worth taking with you (like a friend in another truck for towing just in case) or are these trucks really as good as they look - ie just push that 4wd button and off you go.

any thoughts
                        NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

excellent - worth a look then as a spare set.

i am quite keen to go off-roading, appart from a good set of tyres, is there anything else worth getting done to the truck or a bit of kit worth taking with you (like a friend in another truck for towing just in case) or are these trucks really as good as they look - ie just push that 4wd button and off you go.

any thoughts
                          you should really always go in two's just in case you get stuck or something else happens. These trucks are good but not infallible, some shackles, strops or good strong ropes would help you out.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

strops & shackles

are you selling the variety you previewed in FAQ
                            if so are the prices current and how can i pay etc etc
                            NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

Working...
                            X