Colways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colways

Are these any good, had some on a range rover once was thinking of getting new tyres got goodridges at mo but their costly and mine are worn. Only problem is my tyres are 245/75-16 and they only do 245/70-16 or 265/75-16. guess the 75 is profile and 245 width, nice fat ones would be nice but is the 20mm pushing it?

Originally posted by Dazza
    Are these any good, had some on a range rover once was thinking of getting new tyres got goodridges at mo but their costly and mine are worn. Only problem is my tyres are 245/75-16 and they only do 245/70-16 or 265/75-16. guess the 75 is profile and 245 width, nice fat ones would be nice but is the 20mm pushing it?

As I was thinking of off-roading I bout the Colway AT 31/10.5/15s from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com at leeming Bar on the A1/A1M...and they haven't let me down yet....just remember they are remoulds though
    Gaz

Comment

Standard 2nd gen surf widebody (wheelarches) takes 265x70x15 or 31x10.5x15 tyres
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        Standard 2nd gen surf widebody (wheelarches) takes 265x70x15 or 31x10.5x15 tyres
        as will the narrow body - we've got them on our grey one - not sure about the 265/75/16 tho...
        Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          As I was thinking of off-roading I bout the Colway AT 31/10.5/15s from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com at leeming Bar on the A1/A1M...and they haven't let me down yet....just remember they are remoulds though
          Dont let the fact that they are remoulds put you off. Remoulds are fitted to lots of vehicles including boeing 747s dont seem to be a problem on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis
            Dont let the fact that they are remoulds put you off. Remoulds are fitted to lots of vehicles including boeing 747s dont seem to be a problem on them.
            Ahh yes but aircraft tyres have an entirely different set of performance criteria to car tires, the primary ones being braking ability and high impact load adsorption. Yes they do use remoulds, most airlines allow a 747 tyre carcass to be remoulded twice, third remould can go on a 707 if you've still got one and then its scrapped (see, more useless trivia)
            Fitting remoulds to aircraft really has no bearing on the suitability of remoulds for any other type of vehicle as the original tyre construction, the performance requirements, the operating perameters and the conditions under which they are remoulded are all very different to those for other types of vehicle.

Would I put remoulds on my car?? For offroad use probably, for road use no way, with only four small squidges of rubber keeping me on the road I want to know they are going to keep me there under the broadest range of conditions possible.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

i think people are hung up on the remoulds of the past which disintegrated... modern tyres all have to comply with standards and there's a lot of technology goes into them... i've had no problem with my colways.

they have a 100mph speed rating which is plenty for a surf and i've given them some reall abuse (particularly my speciality smoky burn outs!)
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

As I understand it remoulds now have to pass the same tests as new tyres so they should be ok anyway.

Comment

lorries always run on remoulds/retreads... there are certain rules to what axle they can go on (which i can't remember) but if they can support that all day or a 747 (god knows how much they weigh? 200ton?)...

colways have a lifetime guarantee too.

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                    lorries always run on remoulds/retreads... there are certain rules to what axle they can go on (which i can't remember) but if they can support that all day or a 747 (god knows how much they weigh? 200ton?)...

They actually weigh about 400ton with fuel/cargo and passengers.I only no this cos i've been working in B.A's service hangers on and off for the last 5 years.

See i'm a wealth of info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman

Hey I've no problem with anyone wishing to run remoulds, and I don't doubt that they are of a higher quality construction today than in the past, they're just not for me.

However most trucks I know whilst certainly using retreads do not use remoulds, and there's a hell of a difference between the two.
                      A retread is where a worn tyre has a new set of grooves cut into it to extend its life, this is only performed on tyres which have been specifically designed by the manufacturer to facilitate this process, remoulds are worn tyre casings which have the reminder of the original thread removed and a new layer of thread vulcanized ontop, this is done on ordinary tyres which the manufacturer has most certainly not designed with this in mind, with remoulding the design life of the carcass is now being exceeded, with retreading it is not.
                      Also as I pointed out above, the use of remoulds on aircraft really has no relevance to the suitability of remoulds for use on other vehicle types.
                      Aircraft tyres are designed from manufacture with remoulding in mind, which is often performed by the original manufacturer, all the tyres are serialised and their full history is known before remoulding takes place. With car tyres the remoulder cannot possibly know the history of a carcass brought to it for remoulding and must rely on test equipment alone. These points in addition to the different construction/operating parameters etc of an aircraft tyre mean that the suitability of one to using remoulds really cannot bear any relevance to the use of remoulds on cars.
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

yeah, trucks use remoulds all the time... it's usually marked in the blank oval on the sidewall... the onesthat can be cut are marked re-groovable... you can get dunlop remoulds and they're a manufacturer so i'd imagine some thought went into the design.

trouble is i'll look round all the tyres tomorrow and none will be remoulds!!

i went on a 737 (much smaller than a 747) and the max take off weight was 57ton... i read the kids magaxzine and it was in there!

Comment

tyre

hi running my surf on remoulds that have a special reinforced side wall and extra cord support in case bracing these were only £50 a piece on 16" rims as apposed to £110 new i,m in motor and tyre trade and remember remoulds of old so belive me when i say the tyres i,m running are more rugged than the brand new equvalent of same tyres for my car don,t judge a book by it, s cover read all the pages inbetween
                          I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
                          (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Thought I'd give a set of remoulds a go for the first time ever. I do about 350 miles a week and have had them for about 7 weeks. At first i was worried about wet road handling and the possibility of high speed wobble. So far I'm impressed. There is a very slight wobble at about 75mph, but this could be down to balancing.
                            I used to be dead against remoulds, but having said that, I'll happily use them on my relatively slow 4runner, but never on my performance car.

Comment

thought i had a puncture... some of the cuts and slices are huge in my MTs... took it down ATS and he had a look turned out it was a bad seal on the bead from running low pressure... he re fitted the tyre with a bit of sealant and a new valve i gave him a fiver for a drink and everyone was happy!...

Comment

Working...
                              X